Friday, May 11, 2018

How long does it take to tune a banjo...


Nobody knows.

(rimshot)

If you aren't a guitar player, allow me to explain: see, banjos always sound so out of tune that no one has ever been able to actually tune one.  See, it's funny because banjos sound funny.  And, they always sound out of tune.  So, it's funny because it is true.  If you're a guitar player.

No?

Try this one:  how do you describe "perfect pitch"?

When you throw an accordion into a dumpster and it lands on a banjo.

I had Joan order me a set of nylon strings to try on one of my guitars on her last Amazon order.  I have heard of people trying nylon strings on a steel string guitar, and some people have said it doesn't sound all that bad.

My X7 was due for new strings, so I figured I'd try the nylon strings on there, and if they don't sound good, I wasn't wasting two sets of strings.

Yep, they didn't sound good.  In fact, it took my beautiful X7 with amazing tone and turned it into a boxy guitar that is filled with socks.  Old, stinky socks.  On the bright side, it took forever to get the guitar in tune.  Really, worse than a banjo.  The sustain is gone.  The rich, ringing sound is gone.  Yep, sucks.

No, it isn't a permanent thing.  I may leave these nylon strings on for a couple days, just to make sure I have given them a chance... and then I will put some Elixirs on there again and get my great-sounding guitar back.

Again, for those who aren't guitar players: guitars are built differently for use with steel strings rather than nylon strings.  The sound on a guitar is "driven" by the top, and steel strings drive that top with much more stress than a guitar made for nylon strings.  So, a nylon string guitar can be built lighter.  This is a big part of why my X7 has lost much of its great sound by putting nylon strings on it: it just isn't "driving" that top enough.  To be expected.  But, after reading that some people have done it with other guitars, I thought I'd give it a try... just to hear what it sounds like.  And, now I know: it sounds like crap.

Live and learn, no harm done.  Well, except that hour + I lost, trying to get it in tune.  ;-)


No comments: