If you said, "Glenn Frey, 1984, from the album The Allnighter," you get 15 bonus points.
Yes, I am talking about the weather in the desert again. I think this is day 16 of "Extreme Heat Warning"... I may have lost track. Interestingly enough, the high today is supposed to be only (??) 109º. I guess the warning is because the humidity is relatively high, as expected during monsoon season.
To add to the fun, the wind came up last night and the air is full of dirt. Murphy likes to go out after his breakfast - I put on a mask to take him outside. The mask to help filter the dirty air. I had forgotten how unpleasant it is to wear a mask.
How bad is the air? Thanks for asking; South Mountain is visible (but diffused), the Estrella Mountains to the west are not. The Air Quality Index in Phoenix is 104. I have no idea how that scale works, but 104 is in the Hazardous range.
So, that is fun. Not.
3 comments:
We are not as hot today but heading back to triple digits by Thursday. Air quality from wildfires in neighboring states has been BAD. The lowest I've seen in the past week was 120, and some days we have been almost 300. At 166 right now with sunny skies. It was ~285 at 0300 this morning. Viz is limited (not quite IFR) and everything smells really smoky.
I saw on the national news that you were downwind of the fires in the Spokane area. It's been a tough summer for wildfires. We had considered 3 to 4 day trips for July and August, but places where the weather was cooler (almost everywhere compared to Phoenix) were in the smoke... or having issues with localized flooding! I guess plague of locusts is next on the agenda. (sigh)
That is how I used to describe California. First major wildfires, then heavy rains causing floods, then mudslides on the bare ground, then drought again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Throw in earthquakes and you maybe don't need locusts.
Finished my bike ride in 67° with 115 air quality - pretty nice considering WX conditions lately.
Post a Comment