Thursday, February 14, 2013

Good for the soul...

Remember the quote from the documentary "What About Bob?", starring Bill Murray?

"I'm sailing!!"  Of course, Bob was tied to the mast, with 3 or 4 lifejackets strapped onto him.  I didn't have to be tied down today.

Our new friends, Tony and Diane, took me out on their Montgomery 23 today.  It was a beautiful day in the desert, with the wind building.  We have a lot in common with these folks: sailing, C-Dorys, and RVing.  Plus, they are from the Phoenix area.  They took pity on this land-bound island boy, and we untied the dock lines and headed out...


Diane handled the tiller while Tony went forward to get the sails up.  I was ballast.  The wind was light, but the forecast was calling for more wind than any of us needed.  The sailing was fine...


Tony asked if I'd like to take the tiller - I didn't have to be asked twice...


Tony asked how long since I've been sailing... other than the sail on my kayak, it's been almost a year.  Not like I haven't had plenty of boat time in that interim, but not sail powered.  That Montgomery 23 handled well, pointed like a well-found boat, and came through the tacks nicely - a very nice boat.  Something about a tiller in your hand, while on a small sailboat, that just gives you a real connection with the wind and the water.  It felt good!

Coming back in, Tony and Diane brought that boat to the slip with the easy style of an experienced couple.

We visited at the dock for a while, were joined by another couple on stand-up paddleboards who also have an M-23, then said our good-byes.  I took this photo so you could see Tony and Diane and the fine lines of that Montgomery...


A very nice day on the water.


2 comments:

TKozlik said...

Glad to have you aboard Capt Jim. Always nice to have an experienced boater with us.

Tony and Diane

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

My thanks to you two - it was a nice treat!