Monday, November 10, 2014

Adrift at sea!


We didn't have to wait long for this latest roof repair - Pete (the builder) and Nacho (the worker) were here before 8:00.  The premise today: take out the flashing around the suspect roof vent, replace, seal and re-shingle that area...


Here's what he pulled off the vent...


That red circle shows three small holes where the galvanized flashing had rusted through.  I am hoping this takes care of the little nagging leak we have been dealing with.

They had that job done in a little over an hour.  I asked about the rest of the roof... "Looks good."

We have a norther that is supposed to blow in by Wednesday that is kicking butt up north.  It won't be "winter" like they are getting - our high on Thursday is supposed to be 61º with a strong north wind.  In fact, most of the next week looks to be windy and rainy.  Glad we got the roof attended today - it will give us the opportunity to test out the repair.

With that kind of forecast, I decided it would be the last opportunity to get some paddleboarding in for a while.  It is breezy today, but will probably be around 80º for a high.  Looking down the canal, it didn't look that windy.  I tossed the board in and paddled my way down the canal.

I could see the wind ripples at the end of our canal... I knew it would be more of a workout coming back against that wind at the end of the canal.  I turned east with a pleasant tailwind.  I would guess it was blowing about 10 to 12 mph.  By the time I got two canals over, the wind had really kicked up... to the point I was working hard just to get turned around!  Paddling with my normal stroke, I wasn't make any forward progress - when I would switch from one side of the board to the other, the wind was actually blowing me backwards.  Well, this isn't much fun.

I hunkered down and dug in with the paddle... now, keep in mind I do this for the pleasure of being on the water... you don't get a body like this by exercising.  Digging in hard got me moving, with the added excitement of getting almost sideways to the wind as I switched sides to paddle.  The wind darn near blew me off the board.  Twice.

I considered options: getting to the closest dock and carrying the board back home.  Or, tough it out on the board and try paddling even harder.  I really dug in with the paddle, trying to stay reasonably close to the docks in that area to get a break from the wind.  My arms were tired, but my thighs were burning... seriously, I think I was putting dents in the board with my toes trying to dig in through my water-shoes.  It probably isn't possible to dent an inflatable board.

Slowly, I was making progress in the right direction.  This was not the furthest I've paddled, but it was certainly the most exhausting.  I was overcoming the thoughts I had of being blown out to sea... which would be pretty darn hard, considering I was in canals in the middle of an island, and about 6 miles away from "the sea."  ;-)

Back at our dock, Joan was painting the door to our storage area under the deck... "How was your paddle?"

"Fine.  A little breezy."  It didn't seem very manly to say, "I didn't think I was EVER going to get back!!"  My legs were like rubber when I plopped onto our dock.

When I went inside to clean up, I took a moment to check weather... temperature 75º, wind out of the south at 20, gusting to 25, occasionally higher.  Felt like a lot higher.  ;-)

------------------

The temperature in the Black Hills at this same time was 17º.  Brrrrrrrrrrr!!




5 comments:

MarkJ said...

I'll try to intercept the cold stuff in Oklahoma before heading your way. Highs in the 40's and lows I the 20's starting tomorrow. Way too early for this!!!

Hudson River Boater said...

Maybe you should add more Paddle Board Fins?? Then YOU could be the sail and trim yourself on the board as needed.. Maybe your Paddle could act as a rudder?

Just a thought-- Enjoy..

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Is that 61degrees with or without the wind chill factor? Poor baby!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hey, Charlie, that is THE HIGH for the day. The weather weasels are calling for evening lows in the low 50s! Brrrrrrr! They have downgraded the low on Thursday to be 59º instead of that anticipated 61. Psychological difference more than meteorological? I don't think so.

;-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Mark - I would appreciate anything you can do to keep that cold up north, where it belongs.

HRB - Nothing aerodynamic about me on the board... definitely more of a short, stout mast than a wing-sail. LOL