Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Been a while...


We had breakfast at Manuel's with our friends Mike and MJ... good conversation, good eats.

The day was turning out to be breezier than predicted, but clear blue sky and highs in the low 70s.  Joan suggested some scooter time... "Let's go up to the Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Preserve."

It has been a while since we've been there.  Several years.  Last time we went that way, the road was awful.  "Sure, let's see what the road is like."

Out of Port Isabel, west on Highway 100, then north at Laguna Vista.  I have made mention of the fact that the roads were aren't the most interesting for two-wheel riding.  Here's what I'm talking about...


Yep.  Straight and flat.  This road runs past the Cameron County Airport.  It was a training base during World War II... pretty sure that was the last time the road was maintained, as well.  I'm not saying it was rough, but if we make it back this way again, I will ride slower to see if I can find my fillings.  Yes, I'm kidding - my fillings are fine... the boys, however (and that is a medical term for: testicles) took a beatin'.  Stephanie is an only child as of now, but I am pretty sure this greatly reduced the chance of a younger sibling for her.

Just when it seemed the road couldn't get any worse, it got a little better.  Which would make sense if it couldn't get any worse.  And this is the part of the road that someone decided needed some fresh asphalt tossed on it...


And by "tossed on it," I mean it wasn't packed down.  And the road is so crappy there isn't much traffic on it, so the passing vehicles didn't help pack it down, either.  And, if you were looking close, this is one of the few curves in a road in this area.  So, even if you wanted to "carve a turn," you would be splattering bits of asphalt all over.

We decided to turn around and head further west, in search of better road surfaces...


Riding further west, we came to Indian Lakes; another interesting area, with some beautiful homes on small lakes (resacas).  And, orange and grapefruit groves...



Yes, that is flowering stuff.  And greenery.  With our sub-tropical climate, it is green year 'round here.  It makes for some good riding weather... now, we just need some interesting riding roads.  ;-)

If you ask different people why they ride, you will get many different answers... but, the biggies are:
* for the fun of it
* to be out in nature
* 'cause it feels "free"
* ride to live, live to ride
* I'm a commuter, it is cheep transportation

While I have mentioned how miserly these scooters are with fuel, I totally get the first four items above.  That's why I ride.  When we fueled up today, we paid $2.59 per gallon.  At a station a bit further down the road, the price was $2.58.  Darn - if only we had waited a bit to fuel, we could have saved almost 2¢ on fueling both scoots.  Joan logged 100 mpg, I was down to a lowly 97.

I think it's true what I read on the internet: the red ones are faster.  Must be why it uses a bit more fuel.  ;-)


--------------------

Edited the price above, 'cause I had it wrong.  Thanks, Steve, for catching that.

3 comments:

steve said...

Think your a dollar off

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Goodness, Steve, you are right!! I will edit the post - thanks for catching that. Guess I'm so used to buying diesel.

Editing the post to reflect the right price.

steve said...

Filled up at Sams today gas was 2.50 in Harlingen