Sunday, November 9, 2014

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling...


If you said, "The Eagles," you get 50 bonus points.  Only 50??  Come on, that one was pretty easy.  Kinda peaceful, too.

This morning, I was told it was my turn to do breakfast.  That usually means: we go out.  And by "usually," I mean: every time.

Joan wanted a relaxing morning at home, so the options were: me cook, or me go get.  I grill.  I only "cook" if Joan isn't around, and that usually means opening something and put it in the microwave.  I really should get more involved in cooking.  Don't know why, 'cause I really don't like to cook.  I was alone a lot as a kid growing up, so I had to cook for myself.  Didn't like it then, still don't.

But, I am particularly good with a phone.  I called Manuel's Restaurant and ordered a breakfast tortilla for us to split.  These things are huge, so splitting doesn't mean skimping.  I hopped on the scoot and zipped to Manuel's.  They had my tortilla ready when I got there; I paid and zipped back home.  A good solution to breakfast-by-Jim.

After breakfast, the Blonde and the furry kid got to have a private concert.  It makes me smile when I start playing and Joan comes in, followed by Izzy.  We have a routine.

A leisurely soak, clean up, and ready to take on the world by the crack of noon.  We are still under the influence of the north wind (only blowing about 10 to 12), so it is a clear, crisp, and slightly cool day.  It was 63º when I got up this morning, but comfortably in the low 70s by noon.

This time of year is very quiet around here; not just in our resort, but it town and on South Padre Island.  The neighbors next door were here last night, but left already today.  No one home across the canal from us.  The neighbors on the other side of us are always quiet.  Out on our deck, the only sound was the rustling of the palm leaves in the light breeze.  No hammering.  Nobody busting up concrete.  We have the sunscreens rolled down, so it is almost like a sunroom out on the deck.


We turned on the TV out there, and the Home & Garden Channel was playing a show about people shopping for property on "Beachfront Living."  It is a lot of people from up north who are looking for their "place on the water."  They are discovering the difference between "a place on the beach and a place to keep a boat."  Yeah, I get that.  Joan, Izzy, and I are out on the deck, enjoying the weather and the quiet.  I will grill up some steaks before the afternoon is out, Joan is whipping up some twice-baked potatoes; maybe we'll dine out on the deck.  I love this time of year in the Tropical Tip.


The peace and quiet will get interrupted soon enough - we discovered another small leak that is going to require replacing a roof vent in our small bathroom.  Like cooking, that isn't in my job description, but the builder has been called (I handled that) and we are "on the list."  The next rain event is supposed to happen Wednesday and Thursday this week.  I'm hoping we get this taken care of before that.  One never knows.

No comments: