Sunday, June 21, 2015

Happy Father's Day...


Put your sweaty ol' glass on this.

My morning started out delightful: getting to visit with my sweet daughter on the phone.  For over an hour.  I got to open my gift: coasters that she made with photos of the three of us and her with her Daddy.  I like that she puts thought and effort into making something special and personal.  And, of course, the cards that make me all teary-eyed.  Kinda messes with my tough boat captain persona, but I am a big ol' mushball when it comes to my little girl.

I love that we can talk about anything and everything.

My Dad died when I was very young; no real father role model to learn from.  I probably learned much about what dads do from television and friends' families.  One thing I discovered after being a father: it makes you want to be a better man.

I have accumulated some titles and initials after my name, but the title that means the most to me is: Dad.  I couldn't be more proud of the woman our daughter has become.  Of course, I'd like to think I have some responsibility with that, but it is a fun, scary, apprehensive, encouraging, and loving journey.

--------------------

We have a tradition of sorts in our family: special occasions warrant more than one card... usually something humorous with one, something touching with the other.  I won't go into the mushy one, but here are some words of wisdom from the humorous one...

DAD
(noun) Male, setter of curfew, griller of meat, knower of every shortcut, first like of defense against spiders, had it way rougher than you growing up, driving instructor, lawn-care professional, giver of sound advice, not known for tolerating back talk.
(see also: dependable and hero)

;-)


No comments: