Saturday, June 6, 2015

L-Pod...


We have a new captain and today was his first training day on this boat.  It made me think back to my first day with this company, four years ago.  I knew the area, since we had cruised here.  I had driven bigger boats than these.  I studied up on all the regulations regarding the whales and other wildlife.  I thought I was prepared.  More like shell-shocked.

I kept that in mind while working with our new captain.  Today was a "shadowing" day for him, but I made sure he got some hands on.

We didn't have a great whale report, but the tides and currents were workable.  The plan: we're heading south in Haro Strait, with a report of L-Pod possibly 2/3 of the way down-island, but maybe moving north.  Not every report is solid.  Turns out that they were further down-island, and moving south, away from us.  It was a good learning experience for using the currents to our advantage.

I explained what I expected the whales to do, considering the tide and current.  That is the way it played out.  Four years ago, I would not have known what to expect.  None of this is a "sure thing," but with time and experience, you do get a better feel for it.

It took a while, but we caught up with "the trailers" in L-Pod.  They were active; seems that they were feeding well... and happy, which equals some good surface activity...





Timing was such that there weren't a lot of other boats where we were viewing.  L-Pod was spread out over several miles, with most of the boats further east.  It was very pleasant - the water was flat, the sun was shining, the temp was comfortable, and the viewing was great.  Of course, when the whales are doing something exciting, like a breach, a spy hop, pectoral slaps and waves, I am maneuvering the boat... doesn't give me the chance for the best "photo ops."  But, it is fun to see and hear the excitement from the guests.




We spent plenty of time with L-Pod, then began the trip back north.  While the current had flipped, it wasn't as strong... but we saw a minke whale (briefly) and had a couple bald eagles fly over... along with the absolutely gorgeous scenery along the way.

One of the guests asked me, "Have you ever had a desk job?"

"No, can't say I have.  But, I do have a pretty fabulous 'office view' from the helm."

"I have a desk job... I would trade with you in a heartbeat."

Oh, there are days... but, I didn't say that.  ;-)  Sure was nice to spend some time with L-Pod today.


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

Why did I think it was j & k pods??? I'm getting old! Love to just sit and stare at your pics Jim, and you always tell it like it is. I appreciate that. Keep up the good work!
And you might send us some of that cool weather. 90 and humid is killing me!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

J, K, and L Pods are the Southern Resident Killer Whales.

I brought 4 layers with me... I had all 4 on when we turned north, into a north wind. Started peeling them off as we got closer to the harbor and out of the wind. I rode home on the scooter without a jacket - first time this season.

I am just happy to see a forecast with sunshine. :-)

I understand 90º with high humidity. They are talking "heat wave" in Washington State this weekend... yeah, sounds like a nice early April day in south Texas. ;-)

Crank up the A/C, Mark... the water here (in the upper 40s) is a natural A/C.