Monday, June 15, 2015

So, what do you do on a day off?


Thanks for asking.

One of the days is for getting chores done: shopping, laundry, etc.  Sometimes, we just need a day to veg.  And one more for playing.  Neither of us was feeling the veg thing today, so we may get a couple play days.

One of my favorite things is going out for breakfast at the Hungry Clam.  Seems that most visitors to Friday Harbor go to the Rocky Bay Cafe, and wait in line.  They do have good food there.  So does the Hungry Clam... and, the best bacon in town.  Bacon is important - man does not live by pizza alone.  But, I digress; as we drove by, there was a line at Rocky Bay.  Down a block, off the main drag a block, and there is designated motorcycle parking right by the Clam.  And no wait.  And a table with a view towards the ferry landing...



And, did I mention the bacon?  They make it whatever way you like it: soft (what I call chewy) or crispy.

We swung by the "other" store to pick up a few things before heading back home.  Then, out for some scooter touring...



Yes, you've seen that view before - it is one of my favorites, seeing Haro Strait as you come over the hill.  Then, through the trees again...


We stopped at one of the pull-outs on the west side.  Turned off the scoot, took off my helmet, and I heard a familiar sound: "Whooooooosh!"

Whales!

Joan went up on the rocks to check it out...



Yep, there are Orcas.  A couple kayaks and a small fishing boat.  One of the yellow Zodiacs from Victoria.  I pulled out my phone and texted in the position to our boss (who will relay it).  We went down the path for a better look...



The only lens I had with me is the wideangle - great for on the scoots, not so great for getting whale photos.  But, I shot some anyway.

That's a lot of water out there, with a little dot of a whale in it with the wide angle...


Within 15 minutes, boats started showing up...


At first, I counted 3 Orcas.  Then, 6.  Then, closer to a dozen.  The kayakers that were there were getting a very up-close-and personal view.  (Yes, they are supposed to be following the same regulations as boats.)  More people showed up at the pull-out.  We heard one woman explaining to her friends, "These are resident whales.  They live right here.  They are here all the time."

I looked at Joan; she quietly said, "Your day off.  Don't."

I just enjoyed the viewing...




In my opinion, the viewing is much better from a boat.  But, this is where we are, and it still beats not seeing whales.  ;-)




We watched for another half hour or so.  Joan went up the path before me, I called the location in to one of our other captains who was just heading out of the harbor.  When I came up the hill, Joan was standing by our boss... who was explaining things to the same women who were getting the wrong information from their friend.  Our boss was out riding his bicycle with a friend, and he stopped since he got my text.

We visited for a bit, then back to the scoots...




Enjoying the twisty roads here, and the light traffic.



Back home, and some outside time for little Izzy...


Keeping an eye on one of those little birds in the tree that keeps egging her on...


Not a bad way to spend the day off.  :-)


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

I'll take your day off to mine every day! Well, except when I get to go hold my new granddaughters!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

That would be very special, Mark. No Grandkids for us... I may get a bumper sticker that says "Ask me about my Grandcats!" ;-)