Thursday, August 6, 2015

Like Christmas - J-Pod and K-Pod, but...


... no L.

Get it?  No L.  Like Christmas (noel).  Yes, I am ashamed of myself.  Not really.

I had the last two days off.  It was blustery.  I haven't been on this boat for 4 days, so I went it a bit early to check it out... there was salt spray on the windows.  On the inside of the windows!  Yeah, I'm guessing it was a lumpy couple days.  The helm is up on a flybridge - those eisenglass windows were covered with salt spray, too.

First mate Rachel and I had to wipe down everything on the boat with vinegar water.  By the time guests were ready to board, the boat was looking good.

On the bright side: the water was lovely today.  Sunshine.  Cool enough that I needed my fleece vest, but not much wind.  On the even brighter side: J-Pod and K-Pod were around Hein Bank and moving towards the southwest side of San Juan Island.

Our first view...


Boats already with the whales were on the other side of them... we had them to ourselves on our side...


Nice water, good viewing...



That little boat you see so close to the whales is a research boat - they are allowed to be that close, to photograph and pick up whale scat.  Yes, they get excited about whale poop - it helps determine the health and diet of the pooping whale.


Lots of whales, lots of good views.  On the way back in, we saw a couple Minke whales, a couple Stellar Sea Lions, and then another Minke.

I have to say something about first mate/naturalist Rachel... she had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled on Monday.  This was her first day back and work, and she had a wonderful attitude and a great work ethic today.  Pretty sure I would still be in the fetal position, crying and feeling sorry for myself.  She is tough.  By the end of the trip, I could tell she was hurting, but she never let it show to the guests.

We have some fine naturalist crew.


2 comments:

MarkJ said...

I'm guessing if L pod wasn't around M wasn't either. They're pretty organized you know.....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

It's alphabetical???

;-)