Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Yeah, yesterday was more fun...


Work days and play days.  Even on days off from work, there are work days.  Yesterday, we got to play on the scoots all day; today, there were things to do around the coach.

The electric awning has been making a grinding noise as it goes in and out.  There is a slot in the strut arms, and I could feel burrs all along that slot.  While I Dremmeled (is that a verb?) it smooth, Joan clipped the grass that has gotten tall around the motorhome again...


Hand clippers.  Makes way less mess than a weed-eater.  Dumped, flushed, and dumped again our holding tanks.

Breakfast in town, a short ride along the water, then we filled up the scoots with groceries.  You might be impressed that the scoots can hold $89 worth of groceries... that was 4 small(ish) bags.  It's an island.

Back home, Joan asked if I'd play guitar for her... sure.  About 45 minutes into her concert, the roof air-conditioner came on - and made a racket!  That doesn't sound good.

We checked inside the motorhome, and everything seemed tight and in place.  I got out our ladder and climbed up on top of the motorhome.  It doesn't have a built-on ladder, so you have to make that transition from ladder to the roof, with no hand-rails.  Not a big fan of that.

I took the cover off the a/c and started looking around.  I spun the fan by hand, and everything seemed fine.  There are some rubber feet that the fan motor sits on - Joan passed up some wrenches, and I tightened those.  Joan turned on the a/c again - same racket!  With it open, I could see that the fan was making contact with a support inside the a/c... on closer inspection, I could see that the base of the fan (plastic) had a crack leading to one of the blades.

Joan brought me some Super-Glue so I wouldn't have to climb down.  Did I mention that I really don't like that transition from the ladder to the roof?  Yeah, roof to ladder isn't any better for me.  Of course, the Super-Glue came out in a big glop - I grabbed the paper towel Joan brought (she thinks ahead)... and glued the paper towel to 7 of my ten fingers.  This is fun.  On the roof.  In the blazing sun.  Crouched down, I couldn't feel my feet... well, if I could, I would have probably Super-Glued my fingers to them.  I wiped up the excess, tried peeling paper towel off my fingers... finger prints are probably over-rated.  The glue stuck to everything but the fan blade.  It is apparently made of some space-age plastic that repels Super-Glue.

I stood up... shakily... waited for the sleeping feet to turn to needles-in-my-feet... put the a/c back together, climbed off the roof and onto the ladder (I really hate that part), then went inside the moderately hot motorhome to call Winnebago and Coleman (the a/c manufacturer)...they both had me on hold... "Please stay on the line until you grow old and die - your call is important to us."  Pretty sure I could hear snickering after that message.  They both put me on hold long enough that their Warranty Service Departments closed.

Not much I can do until tomorrow.  The Winnebago recorded voice let me know that they cannot send warranty parts directly to a customer - they have to go through a dealer.  The Coleman recorded voice didn't tell me much of anything until it said, "We are now closed.  Please call back tomorrow so we can put you on hold again."  Something like that.

It was after 3:00 Pacific Time.  Well, we may not be able to do anything with the air-conditioner today, but we can make it to "Happy Hour"... in the produce department at the other store in town.  Yes, most of our grocery shopping excursions mean a trip to both stores to get through our list.  And, the "other store" (really, there is no name on the outside of the building) has produce on sale on Tuesday afternoons (Happy Hour).

The prices were definitely better and more variety than the store near the marina; they are owned by the same people.  The produce was outside, in a tent, and looked good...



We finished our shopping (another $40) and headed for home.

The high today was supposed to be 74º.  It was 81º outside, 84º inside the coach when we got back.  I guess Mother Nature heard our a/c was on the fritz.

The lows the past couple nights have been around 50º, so we will get a fresh start each day.  Hope we can find out something about getting a replacement a/c fan tomorrow.

No, there isn't a Winnebago or Coleman dealer on this island.  Yesterday on the ferry, I saw someone wearing an In & Out Burger t-shirt... reminds me of other stuff we don't have on this island.  ;-)

Another 3 weeks or so.


No comments: