Thursday, August 20, 2015

On call...


We have passed the peak of the season here.  Oh, it will stay plenty busy, but the numbers will start to decrease; we may not have every boat full, every trip.  Today, I am "on call"... that means the boat crew is on standby until a predetermined time.

In the meantime, I am the househusband and cat-daddy.  Little Izzy got to have a couple walks this morning, and some extra leash time.  I made myself breakfast, did the dishes, and vacuumed the motorhome.  Still some time to fill... well, the guitar needs a new set of strings.

Yes, guitar strings have a useful life.  I use "long life" strings (Elixir) - they cost more, but have great tone and last a lot longer (sounding good) than others.  At home, I use the island in our kitchen - just the right height, and it allows me to swap sides for better access.  No island in the motorhome kitchen, but it is the right height.  And, with Izzy's fuzzy blanket, and another rolled up lap blanket under the neck, it is well supported off the hard surfaces...


Yep.  Temporary guitar stringing station.

This new set that I put on are "mystery strings."  Elixir was doing a test on some strings and I signed up for it.  They sent a pack of strings with no identifier on them (Nanowebs, PB 80/20, etc).  I'll play them for a month or so, keep a log of the playing time, then send them back to Elixir.  They give you a certificate for another set to replace these.

These are the same gauge I usually put on this guitar; look similar as far as coating.  But, they seem to be a bit quieter and easier to play.  I'll spend some time with them to see how they feel and sound over time.

Coming up on the time to determine if I have a trip or not today...


Not, I wasn't checking the time.  That's the Apple Watch... with my phone in the booster cradle, I can answer the phone and talk on the watch.  If you take the phone out of the cradle to answer it, you lose the signal.  This lets me be anywhere in or around the motorhome and still have phone access.  Like when out walking Izzy.

Looks like she will get an extra walk this afternoon.  :-)


No comments: