Saturday, August 29, 2015

What a great last trip!


If only it were my last trip for the season.  Not the case.

The predicted rain didn't materialize.  In fact, it was downright pleasant.  I had a leisurely lunch at the Lime Kiln Cafe, then went to work prepping the boat.  Even had a decent whale report... not close, but certainly doable.

First mate/naturalist Erick and I visited with guests while we waited for our last group to arrive (they were coming in from one of our over-night kayak trips).  With everyone onboard, I did a safety talk, told them where we were planning to go (south), and we shoved off.  A nice group - they were excited to see whales.

On my way through the harbor, I got a tip from another boat captain coming in from the south: "Go over the top - north, then south."  No other reports of any whales that close, but I decided to give it a shot.

I often joke with guests: "If you read the brochures and magazine articles, the whales are always right outside the harbor, smiling and waving, passing out brochures and posing for pictures.  Yeah, that isn't the reality..."

Today, it was the reality.  Well, except for the "passing out brochures" part.  I never got the chance to "go over the top" or turn south.  We saw whales right outside Roche Harbor.  And - this is really amazing: there were no other boats with them.  Naturalist Erick quickly had an ID: we are with a good portion of J-Pod, moving north.

Our first view...


No other boats.  I expected to be one of many boats with the whales off the southwest side of San Juan Island.  I called the position in, but there were no other boats heading this way.  The first of the "muggings" began...



We are diligent in keeping the proper distances.  Some of these whales were doing deep dives, then coming up in completely different position from the others.  We continued our viewing up to Turn Point on Stuart Island...



North of Turn Point, the stopped heading north and began milling; usually means they are feeding.  I shut down the boat, so we could hear those great breath sounds as well as watch.  It was peaceful and exciting at the same time.


One of my favorite shots of the season...


No, not a breach or other dramatic behavior - the silhouette of a large dorsal fin, the sparkly water, and the silhouettes of islands in the background.  Timeless.


The whales began moving north again... then, a "mass mugging"...




Sitting with the engine off, the whales moved all around the boat.  At one point, one whale went under the boat, rolled... and then looked up at the people viewing at the stern.  There were gasps and shouts from the guests, then quiet, while everyone took in the experience.

I came down from the helm and explained how we work to keep the proper distance... they all understood.  I told them this would be "last looks," while we waited for the whales to move away...


OK, maybe that  ^ is my new favorite image for the season.  Although, I do love to see their breath with some backlighting...



Yes, that would have been a great way to wrap up the season.  I started the boat and let the guests know we would be starting back for Roche Harbor, taking the scenic route.  One person asked if we might see a bald eagle... "We'll be looking," I said.

As I was slowly motoring away, taking in the whales in the distance, I got a call from another boat: a couple miles south of us, there were two boats with whales from K-Pod.  I had Erick ask the guests if they'd like to see more whales on the way back home, or if they wanted to go in search of a bald eagle... unanimous: more whales.

It didn't take long to get there; I set us up to view, just south of Turn Point again.  The whales were closer to shore...


Then - a breach.  And another...


It was the one behavior we hadn't seen with J-Pod.  One lady asked me, "Is this the best whale trip ever?"

"I try not to compare.  Any day we get to see whales is a very good day.  Yes, today was something very special.  And now, for the second time, these will be our last looks."

Keeping an eye on the time, I knew we needed to go pretty much straight back.  I did a slight arc towards Spieden Island... looking with the binoculars... got one!  There was a large group of Mouflon Sheep on the grassy area, but right beyond that: a bald eagle...


We viewed the sheep, visited about bald eagles, and stopped at Sentinel Rocks to see some seals.  On to Roche.  Along the way, a few looks back...




Coming into the small opening to Roche, a Kenmore seaplane took off nearby...


Yep, I sure enjoy those views in the Pacific Northwest.

-------------------

This was from Friday, August 28th; I didn't get a chance to go through the photos last night.


-------------------

On edit: well, I may get my wish.

We pulled the slideouts in on the motorhome before bed last night.  The weather weasels have been predicting some snotty weather today - rain and wind.  We didn't see much rain, yet, but the wind has really kicked up.  Right now, it is blowing in the upper 20s, gusting into the upper 30s... and still building.

Joan called and said, "You won't have a trip today, due to the wind."

My feelings were not hurt.

This Winnebago is a solid little coach.  We pulled the slides in to protect the awnings over the slides; makes less surface area, too.  Makes it feel a lot smaller inside, though.  We have a windshield cover that straps on, velcros, and has magnets... not enough to keep it in place with this wind.  There is debris from the nearby tree stuck all over.

On the bright side, I am not out in it!  (Well, other than getting that windshield cover wrestled down.)

No comments: