Tuesday, August 25, 2015

What I really do on a day off...


Today was a real day off.  Didn't even think about a boat or the whales today.  This afternoon, I got a text from our operations manager that there was a package for me... I'm hoping it is the repair parts for our air conditioner.

Ah, the fast-paced, high-paying world of RV air conditioning repair.  You, too, could be a vital part of the RV industry.  RV sales are booming, and that means positions are available for technically competent, customer-service oriented individuals who are willing to step up and keep today's high tech RVs roaming the highways and byways of this great country.  If you think you are qualified, call this toll-free number right now to get your information kit: 1-800-CRAP BREaks.  Operators are standing by.

And now back to our regular programing...

The box had the replacement fan and motor-mounts.  After talking with my new friend Eric at the air conditioner manufacturer, I was convinced I could save the $420 service call by bringing an RV tech to our place.  Eric had said to me, "If you took it apart that far to see what was wrong, you can fix it."  He said he'd get the parts out right away.  He did.

I knew what tools I'd need; we bought a long skinny vice-grips and Blue Loc-Tite to complete the necessary items.  Joan held the ladder for me while I climbed on top of the coach (no way for a permanent ladder on this coach since the back end opens upward).  She passed the box with the tools and parts up and said, "Good luck."

Having taken it apart a few days ago, I kinda knew what to expect.  Joan cut the power to the a/c, just in case.  The fan replacement was easy.  The motor mounts took a bit longer... I was overly cautious, because the RV service guy on Whidbey Island that I talked to said, "If the mount bolts are fixed in place, and they usually aren't, you will have to take the a/c unit out - so don't let those bolts slide out.  That's the main reason you should have someone like me do the work."

The whole job took less than a half hour.  I had Joan test the a/c before I put the shroud back on... yep, it works.  I had her try it again after I put the shroud back on (just in case there was any kind of clearance issue with the new fan - which seems heavier built than the original)... yep, it works.

That guy on top of the coach is a happy boy...


It was a cool day here on San Juan Island, barely made it to 70º (felt warmer than that up on the roof).  When we head south from here, eventually going to Phoenix to see Steph and Dan, we are going to need that air conditioner.


No comments: