Saturday, December 16, 2017

Moving...


No, we are not moving from our little house in south Texas.  An updated computer followed me home from San Antonio.  Yes, another MacBook Pro.  At 4 years old, the previous one was showing its age and wear.  We have been making some DIY keyboard repairs to keep it going.  It is just a matter of time.

The "genius folks" will transfer your info from one computer to another for $100, and they need to keep both computers for 48 hours.  Nope.  Researching the process, I saw that I can use the "Time Machine" backup from the old one to move files and software to the new one.

Yeah, that never goes without a hitch.  Last time I did this, I was able to hook a cable from one to the other and let them do the transfer.  I still had to input all my internet forums, user names, and passwords one-by-one... I was hoping to avoid that this time.

For some reason, the external hard drive files did not come through complete - in any particular folder, about half the data/photos/etc simply wasn't there.  I was excited when I saw my file folders looking like they should, then a bit disappointed when I opened files and found that it hadn't all transferred.  I moved some files manually... onto an external hard drive, then onto the new computer.

At one point during the transfer, it said "644 hours to go"... I was kinda hoping to have this all done before spring.  ;-)  All told, I worked on it for about 6 hours, then called it... close enough.


It was a drizzly, cold, windy day today, so I didn't mind staying inside.  And, this post is the first on the new computer... so far, so g




Yeah, I'm kidding.  Ain't technology great?


No comments: