Friday, August 9, 2019

A question...


This morning when I got up, there was a joking question from one of the folks on the scooter forum where I participate.  Some of them are interested in the Rally.  Here's my response...

"Do they allow you in the 'motorcycles only' lots, capt?"  :D
Well, according to the registration on our scoots, they are motorcycles... kinda like: every scooter is a motorcycle, but not every motorcycle is a scooter. :-)

And, a little story: back in the early 90s, we were at a Goldwing Rally (WingDing) in Madison, WI. Sitting at a table with some other folks, there was the usual "Where are you from?" questions. When they found out we lived in the Black Hills (at the time), one guy asked, "Have you ever taken your Goldwing to Sturgis? I heard they beat you up there if you come into town with anything besides a Harley."

Looking at his face, I could see he wasn't joking. I said, "Yes, that is true - they have two lines as you come into town: one for beatings, the other for Harleys." A moment of silence, then laughter. We have taken all manner of bikes into Sturgis during the Rally - no issues. I got a few snickers and even a couple thumbs up while we were there on Wednesday. And I know for certain we weren't the smallest bikes there - there was one burly guy on a Honda Metropolitan (pretty sure that was just to get a rise).

It is hundreds of thousands of people on all kinds of bikes, but the vast majority are on Harleys.

Yesterday, while on my morning walk in the RV resort where we are staying, I came across an old guy on a Harley trike. He was waiting for some of his friends to get on their bikes. The trike looked brand new, as did this guy's manner of dress. He was blipping the throttle. I asked (knowing the answer), "Does that have fuel injection?"

"It sure does!" he said proudly.

"Then you know you don't have to warm it up or rev the throttle to keep it running, right?"

A startled look, then, "But it sounds good."

"Not to everyone in the neighborhood. You have a safe ride, now."

Yes, there are some posers. There are also many more enthusiastic riders. For many years, I have described the Rally as "Mardi Gras on motorcycles combined with the world's biggest motorcycle stuff flea market." But, it really is about the riding and the unique experience. Sure, you can find trouble, but you can also easily avoid it. I would not intentionally take the Blonde into a bad situation. For the record, she always says she doesn't want to go to Sturgis during the Rally, but always has fun with the people watching. Going there on Wednesday, and to the Harley dealer yesterday were both her idea... including the "Let's get some Rally food."

One last Sturgis Rally recollection: I rode into town on the BMW I had at the time, and found a place to park on Main Street. Sitting beside me was a couple on a Goldwing (she was holding a small foo-foo dog) talking with the guy next to them who was on a rat bike.  I couldn't imagine more different people, just talking motorcycles... it is an amazing collection of personalities.

As I get older, I have less desire to spend a lot of time there (in Sturgis, during the Rally), with the constant roar and the mass of humanity... but, it is an interesting experience for a shorter time. Like Mardi Gras in New Orleans, it is something that everyone should experience at least once.  Or, the fly-in at Oshkosh.  The Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque.

In another week, the crowds will go away and the riding on the great roads will be less congested once again. There will then be an increase of SUVs and minivans as people try to get a vacation trip in before school starts. Then, the retired folks will roll in, knowing that families with screaming kids have moved on. It is a flow that we grew to understand when we lived here. We really enjoy the Black Hills - I would move back if it wasn't for the cold winters.

2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

I have found the older I get the Less "A" Holes I see.

Imagine showing up @ Sturges with this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/473670066761373/

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi HRB - All kinds of trikes at the Rally, but I can't say I've seen a scooter-based one there. Most the trikes you see are H-D or Goldwing based, but plenty of the CanAm Spyder types, too.