Thursday, February 13, 2020

Cruising. Again.


There is quite a diversity in the ability to grasp some physics concepts with the kids in Steph's classes, in regards to them "getting" the making of a Gravity Cruiser.  If it was up to me, and it isn't, I'd start with some basic principles of how a lever works; how the balance is affected by the weight and the fulcrum.  (On edit: I found out they did this.  Seems some of them didn't bring that understanding to the project.  ;-)  )

Not that there is anything to be learned if everyone builds the same design... but it takes a while to overcome a bad design.  Like: having the weight on the lever way outside the length of the chassis.  That car is just going to tip over... it ain't gonna go.




No, I am not showing any of the obvious "no-go" designs.

The time is already getting short - two more weeks and they are into their grade level competition.  It is crunch time for testing their designs.  At the pace some of them are going, they are not going to have a completed and tested design in time.  I did let Steph know that I'd do an extra day per week if she wants, to move the kids along with their testing.

Some of the teams have tested and are making great runs.  It is the ones who are not to that point that I am concerned about.  I guess I still have some of that competitive spirit in me.  ;-)


No comments: