Monday, October 8, 2012

Pay it forward...

We said our good-byes to Herb and Wilma via the VHF this morning, as Willie's Tug went one way, and we went the other... well, we stayed beached for a while, they departed early.  We may see them again at Wahweap; if not, we'll see them back in Port Isabel. ;-)

We were enjoying the views and running some fuel out...


After a bunch of displacement cruising, we have more fuel left in Wild Blue than I want to haul.  How often do you hear a boater say that??  ;-)

We were heading towards the dam, just to run, and came across a guy on a boat waving his arms.  We slowly pulled up close to him to see what his situation was...

"Can you help me?  I can't get my engine started," he said.

"Do you need fuel or a jumper battery to get it started?" I asked, figuring one of those would be the problem.

He looked down and said, "I have a stupid dog onboard, and while I was fishing, he chewed up a bunch of the wires.  I didn't see it until it was too late.  I tried to call for help, but I didn't know the phone number."  (Note: no VHF radio).


"Would you like us to tow you to the ramp, or do you want us to call for a commercial tow for you?"

The commercial tow vendors here charge $200 per hour, so I knew what his answer would be... "If you wouldn't mind towing me, I would pay for your fuel... or whatever.  There aren't many boats out here today!"

We know the code: you don't leave anyone stranded on the water.  We hooked up a bridle across the back of Wild Blue, connected his bow line to it, and headed out.  Turns out his truck and trailer were at the second ramp up, not the closest one... "If that isn't convenient, I can walk.  Really - I have money in my truck, I will pay for your gas.  I'm so sorry.  I know you here to have fun..."

"We'll get you where you need to go," I told him.  Joan sat out in the cockpit to make sure everything was going well... he and the dog rode in his boat.  (There were a couple rescues we did in the Tetons where we brought people into the rescue boat, rather than leave them out in the nasty conditions... it's a beautiful day here.)


We got him to the Stateline Ramp, and let him loose at the dock.  "Thank you SO much.  Can I give you something for this?" he asked.

Joan waved and said, "Pay it forward."

"Do you want a dog?" he hollered as we pulled away.

"Pretty sure our cat wouldn't allow that!"  Nice to have a cat that doesn't chew things. ;-)


2 comments:

Bill K said...

That was a different way to use your fuel. :))

A big thumbs up.

Bill Kelleher

Gary said...

Very nice Jim! Pay-it-Forward...