Monday, October 8, 2012

What time is it??

Joan was up early to turn the heat on.  She didn't come right back to bed, so I asked, "What's up?"

Her reply: "The light is just starting to come up in the east - it's going to be a beautiful sunrise."

Those of you who know us know that is bass akwards from the way things usually go.  I drug myself out of bed, heading to the door to see what the fuss is all ab.... "Ohhhhhhhhh."

Camera in hand, bracing on the motor (metered for a one second exposure... on a boat... on the water), and saw this...


After a jolt of caffeine...


Yes, I'm kidding.  The little point & shoot I use has a "Vivid" setting that I rarely use, but this was kind of an interesting take.  You could do the same thing in a couple seconds with Photoshop.  Pretty, but I like the way the ol' eyeballs saw it, as in the first image.

Nice way to start the day.  Oh, and it was about 5:42.  I think.  ;-)


4 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

Out did yourself on those my friend! Of course it wouldn't have happened with Joan :)

Ron, Mac 26X, KS said...

We gotta get our boat to Powell!

Ron and Chari

Unknown said...

That is a fantastic sunrise.

I'm with you, natural color is much better than artificially vivid. That's one of the reasons I shoot Pentax (and raw) instead of CaSoNikon. :)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Tim - "with Joan"??? No doubt, you meant: without. ;-) It is very rare that she is up before me... timing is everything.

Ron - Yes, you do. I know you like Havasu, and that is a very nice sailor gathering. If you want to explore, take your boat to Powell.

Chris - Thanks. Well, thanks for the compliment on the photo, since I really had very little to do with the sunrise. ;-)