Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy St. Patrick's Day...


I'm Irish.  Well, half Irish, half English.  All American.  My Mother (the Irish side) used to say, "It's no wonder you turned out like you did: must be quite an internal struggle for you."  Not sure what she meant by that.  ;-)

I do have one internal struggle that comes out every year at this time: green is not my favorite color.  Might be from the biker old wife's tale that green bikes are unlucky.  May be because green does nothing for my reddish complexion.  I don't own any green clothes.  Yet, on this day of all things Irish, green is the prevalent color choice for most people.

I don't like green beer.  Truth be told, I don't even like beer.  I've been told I have the gift of gab, but I've never kissed the Blarney Stone.  Never wore a shirt that said, "Kiss me, I'm Irish."

When the Beatles became a big deal in the 60s, I was more about my English side... 'cause I was pretty sure if they ever heard me play my Sears acoustic guitar, they would want to make me a Junior Beatle.  They didn't.  And, they didn't.

My last name doesn't sound Irish; it's a fine old English surname.  My Mother (Irish) told me that there had been a Duke or an Earl generations back on my Father's side.  Maybe it was the Duke of Earl?  I just assumed I came from the horse-thief part of the family.  Just kidding, I was a city kid - where would I put a horse?

I have embraced my Irish side.  Two guitars from Emerald Guitars (yes, in Ireland) in the past 9 months.  Neither are green, though... and, yes, they do make green guitars.

Pinch me if I'm not wearing green today, and I will punch you in the throat.  That's my Irish side.

;-)

-------------

Another warm day in the desert southwest.  It is supposed to be around 92º today.  Before the heat of the day, we got out on the scoots... breakfast out and some urban cruising.  It was delightful...


Back to the car and air conditioning for the afternoon.  :-)


No comments: