Monday, April 23, 2012

The only boat time today...

We had to make a run into Brownsville today so Joan could pick up some stuff she needs for making the inside windshield covers... well, and so I could have some fine Italian food.  When we got back home, I saw my neighbor from across the street sitting out on his 36' catamaran.  Yesterday, he told me he was planning to haul the boat out today to get a bottom job done.

I walked over and asked, "Wassup?"  Found out that he was waiting for the travel-lift to clear so he could get in.  "I was supposed to get hauled out first thing this morning; now they're saying 3:00."

"Need a hand at the dock over at the boat yard?"  (This guy can handle that 36' boat solo like it was a kayak.)  "And, Joan can meet us over there and bring you back here to get your truck."

"That would be great."

So, at 3:00, Randy and I took his boat to the boatyard, Joan took off in the truck.  The bridge to our island was out, so we got there before her.  Easy landing with a northeast wind; two guys from the marina caught our lines.  Wasn't really much for me to do, other than hand them the lines... I'm not used to being "deck fluff." ;-)

On the bright side, it was the chance to get out on a boat today.

Oh, and when the boat came out of the water, the bottom didn't look bad.  His boat is 31 years old, and there are undoubtedly a few blisters... but, the bottom paint did a decent job with the crud; 3 years since the last bottom job, and there was still plenty of paint on there.  Someone's going to ask: Petit Trinidad.

No comments: