Friday, April 6, 2012

Is that all you do?

This morning, one of our neighbors said to me, "Is that all you do?"

"Huh?"

"It seems like every time we see you, you're cleaning one of your toys."

He had a point. When we get back from a trip with the boat or RV, it is always in need of getting the road grime cleaned off. Whatever has been in storage always seems to come out in need of a bath. The 5th wheel had accumulated about 1,700 miles of bugs and road grime since its last bath. You do what you gotta do to keep the stuff up. And Wild Blue needed more than just a bath... it was time for her springtime wax job. And Joan is thoroughly cleaning the interior, since it will be our home for the summer.

Some of you might remember that last fall, I compounded and buffed the boat. It was looking good, but the brown "mustache" came back sooner than I expected. So, I put the Atwood Hull Cleaner to good use, and decided to wax her top to bottom before she goes back in the water.

The high today is supposed to be around 87ยบ. Hazy. Not much breeze. Humidity... lots of humidity. So, I went after it early, thoroughly scrubbing the boat before the hottest part of the day. With a thin layer of clouds, I decided to start the waxing, working on the shady side of the boat. I am hoping to get the top and the other side waxed tomorrow morning. Then, all the stainless railings are going to need to be spiffied up.

I told my neighbor, "If you find yourself with too much free time on your hands, get a boat... there is always something that needs attention on a boat."

----------------------

The neighbor on the other side said something similar, then told me that his place is for sale.

"For sale? You just bought that last year and put a bunch of money into it. Decided you wanted something bigger?"

(These are small homes on our island.)

Then, I heard the story...

"Well, it's a long story."

"Give me the Readers Digest version," I said, "I need to get back to waxing before the sun gets hot."

Seems that he found a hot deal on a 42' Hatteras. That boat won't fit in our canal. Too big to rotate, too much draft. So, he bought another place just off our island that has 9' deep canals. "So, you spent $300,000 so you'd have a place to park the boat that you got a hot deal on?"

Roll Eyes

It's obvious that I'm not thinking big enough.

No comments: