Saturday, March 2, 2013

Take me out to the ballgame...

Joan and Steph had planned a "Ladies Day", a shopping outing.  Dan and I planned our own "Guys Day", with a professional baseball game.  It is spring training time in the Valley of the Sun, and the season is in full swing.  Neither of us had been to the Camelback Ranch Sports Complex at Glendale - spring training home for the Dodgers and White Sox.  Today's game: the White Sox vs the Cincinnati Reds.

Dan and I got there a half hour before game time - we were planning a ballpark lunch and wanted to beat the crowds.  We didn't have to worry too much about the crowds...


We had good seats, but with this small of a crowd, they were all good seats.  The stadium will hold about 10,000 people; I would guess it was at about 20% of that by game time.

We were both surprised that there weren't more food vendors; the other stadiums we have been to have had a good selection of independent food vendors as well as the standard stadium food concessions.  Two hot dogs, two sodas, and one order of chili cheese fries (hey, it's Guys Day)... $27.50.  I guess that's one way to help pay for these nice spring training stadiums.

We took our seats as the game got underway...


I was pulling for the White Sox, but mostly hoping to see a good game.  It wasn't a bad game, just not particularly exciting.  The pitchers did their job, the fielding was decent, the batting was good... well, better for the White Sox than the Reds.  Just not a lot of excitement.  I was close to getting a foul ball, but the guy behind me was younger, faster, and had more reach.


After the game, we met up with the ladies for a supper date.  I had a steak and ribs combo that cost about the same as my hotdog lunch today. ;-)

A beautiful, sunny day.  Temps in the low 80s.  A good day for a ballgame... and nobody asked us, "Do these pants make my butt look big?"  ;-)


No comments: