Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I am the meanest hombre west of the Pecos, and watching for aliens...


Remember Yosemite Sam?

We left in the rain this morning.  Not bad compared to last night - I heard almost 3" in Kerrville, where we spent the night.  It didn't last long after we left.

What would be a full day drive while pulling the RV, we covered by noon.  The wind had turned to a headwind... of course, we are transiting west Texas.  A Texas Ranger  pulled up near the back of our trailer in the passing lane, looking us over; I could see him punching in our license number.  I know there are no outstanding warrants on me, but not so sure about the Blonde.  He pulled up a bit further and ran the plate on the truck.  Pretty sure it came up: old farts.  All the registration info is the same on all our vehicles... he then passed us, going much faster.

We turned north at Ft. Stockton, heading north through Pecos, and on into New Mexico.  This portion of the drive paralleled the Pecos River... I changed the title slightly, declaring myself the sweetest hombre west of the Pecos.  I'm over that meanest stuff.

Through Pecos and on into New Mexico.  We drove through Carlsbad... there must have been a panhandlers convention in town: seemed like there were people holding up signs on every 3rd corner, and especially concentrated around Wal-Mart.

We gained an hour on Mountain Time.  I thought I might be able to do 600 mile days, but keeping the speed to 65 mph (considering the trailer tires), that makes for really long days.  Not a lot of traffic on the roads today.  Lots of oil rigs, tank trucks, and equipment trucks on this stretch.  This was interesting as we came up behind it...


We passed that as quick as we could - none of it looked too secure on there.

We came up on Roswell, New Mexico.  I told Joan to be on the lookout for aliens.  "Is that an alien?"


"No, that is a compressor."

"That's an alien!"


Yes, that is an alien.  They are all over the place in Roswell...


Apparently the chainsaw artist teamed up with the neon green paint artist.  ;-)  We drove through the middle of town instead of taking the truck bypass.  How often do you get to see aliens?

We were still a couple hours away from I-40.  Then another hour west to Albuquerque.  I ran out of steam, and we stopped for the night at a "quaint" Mom & Pop motel in a small town.  And by "quaint," I mean: old.  It seemed reasonably clean and was not outrageously priced.  Of course, that is by RV park perspectives.  A person can get a decent motel room on the main drag on South Padre Island for $50 this time of year... that would be a bargain along our route.  Yeah, I would prefer to be in my own traveling accommodations, but it's motels this trip.  Joan find us some internet info on what's available as we decide how much longer to press on.  Ten+ hours of driving today, and I was ready to cash it in.

We are fortunate the motel has wifi... slow compared to what we're used to, but there is on 1x data coverage on my phone; it took almost 2 minutes to send a ten word text to our daughter to let her know we are down for the night.  I had to set my watch ahead one hour and back 20 years.  ;-)


No comments: