Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I am thinking of starting a men's advice column...


Not that I could tell anyone what to do... maybe what not to do?

I have occasionally been accused of over-sharing.  Sometimes, I find little snippets of life funny.  Or, absurd.

This morning, like most mornings, I was playing guitar.  I enjoy rotating through the different guitars.  One guitar is especially special to me... and it isn't really my guitar.  It's a Taylor T5; an electric guitar that can sound like an acoustic.  It is probably my nicest playing guitar... that's saying a lot, considering the ES-335 that I've had since I was 13.

I came across a particularly good deal on this T5... a day after ordering a very nice Taylor acoustic.  I couldn't cost justify the T5.  Joan said, "Just get it!  You'll regret it if you don't."

If I was playing in a band, I would have snapped it up without a second thought.  But, I didn't.  Joan then said, "I'll buy it.  It will be MY guitar."  She doesn't play guitar... but, she likes it when I do.  So, a loophole.  It's her T5.  I get to play it; whenever I want.

This morning, I was playing the T5.  As usual, she and Izzy came in to listen; and Joan usually brushes Izzy while they're in there.  It's kind of our routine.  Joan said, "Put on a sleeve - your arm is touching the guitar."

A valid point.  I have a cloth "sleeve" that I put on when I'm playing one of the acoustics - it keeps body oils off the finish.  I put on the sleeve.  It was morning, and I was in a t-shirt and lounging pants.  It's a look - hey, I'm not on a schedule.

After getting Izzy groomed, Joan went off to do some laundry.  She said, "I'm doing darks - give me your t-shirt."  Of course, being a guy, I know how women can be... just trying to get us undressed.  And I am totally good with that.

I gave her the shirt.  I was still playing, though.  While sitting in my official practice chair (only one arm on the chair, intentionally, so it is perfect for playing guitar), I was going to have a lot of skin touching "her" guitar.  She took the pad that Izzy lays on in this room, and put it between me and the guitar...


It's a look.  OK, not one that I'd recommend in my proposed men's advice column.  I may not impress the Blonde anymore with my guitar playing prowess, but I can still make her laugh.

;-)


No comments: