Sunday, July 29, 2018

Stereotyping...


There is a new guy on one of the scooter forums where I participate.  His friends have new Harley dressers, but he bought a Vespa.  He has gone on a bit about how he knows his Harley riding friends will be jealous of his Vespa.  He has also posted how he puts them down (calling them "geezer Glides").  For further reference, he was not "ready" to ride the Vespa the 70 miles from where he bought it to his home.

Now, I will go on record as saying that there are some folks who are fans of the Vespa brand... and a lot more people who are fans of Harley Davidson.  I don't see those "lifestyles" meshing much, but I don't see the point in "brand bashing."

This afternoon, he made a post about his first Vespa "compliment" - I couldn't help myself, I had to respond...

--------------

[quote]Pull up to a spot light and there is a dirty biker bar right on the road..

Some large bearded biker guy comes stumbling out of the bar and yells over at the top of his lungs "NICE VESPA ASSHOLE!!"

He must be jealous! Lol
[/quote]


My response:

So many questions...

Was there a helicopter above you when you pulled up to the spot light?

Was the bar right on the road or just near the road?  Is that bar dirty, or is it the clientele that is dirty?  Follow-up question to "dirty": in need of being cleaned or obscene?

Did you show him your phone and point out "geezer Glides"?  For that matter, was he on a bike at that time, so you know he was actually a biker, or are you basing this on attire alone?

I have not been confronted like that, but I suggest you not allow that verbal assault to go unanswered.  I suggest telling him you have friends who ride Harleys and demand that he show you proper respect: "That's MISTER Asshole to you, fellow two-wheeled enthusiast!"

For full disclosure, we are currently in the Black Hills, the home to the famous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (coming up next week).  I have received many waves from motorcyclists on all brands, but there are far more Harleys here than any others.  Also, three (count 'em: 3) "thumbs up"... one from a guy on a BMW, one from a guy riding a MotoGuzzi, and one from a Harley rider.

In riding around here most days the past month or so, we've seen a total of 2 other scooters on the road.  They didn't wave.



---------------------

I can't say that we have met a lot of other Vespa riders, other than on the forums where I participate.  I haven't run into any others who are so into stereotyping.  I'm wondering if the biker guy knew him?  ;-)


4 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Enjoy your Vespa-- Who cares what anyone else thinks or says.. Ignore them-- Not worth the effort to respond to them..

Hudson River Boater said...

I just noticed the time on your Blog after I Commented-- It's Pacific Time Zone.. Never noticed before..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi HRB - we are enjoying the scoots. As far as the time zone, we are currently on Mountain Daylight Time. Still try to go by the sun as far as "time to rise." ;-)

Hudson River Boater said...

I don't even wear a Watch.. Sometimes the most important time is-- When's High Tide..