Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Yeah, I don't think that will work...

A few last looks around Friday Harbor:

Inside Wild Blue while we were getting ready to head out...


 The VuQube platform needs to be disassembled...


Inside Vic's (the burger place)...


And the view from the marina office on our way back to Wild Blue...


One last Interesting Boat Of The Day in Friday Harbor...




A Nordic Tug 54 - pretty fabulous looking.  I don't think we'd be able to tow that behind Big Red.  ;-)

We untied the dock lines and motored out of our dock one last time.

About a half hour after we shoved off from Friday Harbor, we got a call from our friends, Captain Ron and Gayle - we all worked together in the Tetons, and they just pulled into... Friday Harbor.  We have to go back there to get our truck, so we will get to see them.  We are both excited to see our friends.

It was an easy cruise to Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes; we'll be here for a few nights.  I am doing the music on Friday evening for the Ranger Tug Rendezvous - they are expecting somewhere around 100 boats!

We had made the arrangements for a slip in Anacortes last month.  I called the marina on the VHF on the way in and confirmed our slip assignment... yep, they told us to head on in.  There was a boat in that slip... we swapped fenders, pulled in on the other side of the finger dock from that boat, and called the marina again.  They gave us another slip assignment... we left our boat where it was and walked to that slip to make sure it was empty.

We put Wild Blue in, tied her off, and started getting her ready to be down for a few days.  Joan asked where to put the VuQube... the end of the slip didn't work; couldn't get a signal at the front of the slip, either.  She said, "I'll work on it while you go take care of our slip with the marina."

At the marina office, I offered to cut the lines on the boat that was in the slip we were supposed to be in and tow it out to Rosario Strait... "Oh, no, you can't do that," the lady at the desk said.

"Umm, that was a joke."  She wasn't sure.  She told me they have had a rash of people in wrong slips lately.  I decided to not say, "I can scuttle them for you," but I thought she might not think I was joking again.

Long walk back to our slip.  When I got there, I saw where Joan had put the VuQube...


Yeah, that's it sitting on top of the boat...


I looked at the forest of masts between the dish and the satellite...


and said to Joan, "I don't think that will work up there, especially when we move around the boat..."

Of course, I didn't get the whole sentence out when the TV came on.  I stepped on the coaming of the boat going into the cockpit... never lost the signal.  We both went to one side of the boat - yeah, the signal held just fine.  "OK, I was wrong, but we better put a bungee or line on there to keep it from blowing off the boat if the wind comes up."  I am amazed at the job that VuQube does... considering all the time it has spent by salt water, I am amazed it works at all!  But, it does.

A short time later, our friends Herb and Wilma pulled into their nearby slip.  I stepped out to grab a line, but they had it under control.  Jake (their golden retriever) came by Wild Blue to visit Izzy... Iz hissed at poor Jake... not very friendly.  Then, she went back inside and glared at him through the window...


Nice to be "back in America".  Once we get our truck, we can run to the store any ol' time we want.  Of course, you can walk to the grocery stores here in Anacortes, and the prices seem inexpensive by "island" standards.

Joan reminded me of the fortune I got yesterday from lunch at the Chinese restaurant...


We'll see what the crowd is like Friday evening.  ;-)


No comments: