Sunday, October 13, 2013

First attempt...

I strapped the GoPro to my helmet, and gave a try at making a short video...


A lotta time investment; not sure I'll want to do much of that.

On the bright side, we rode the scooters over the causeway to South Padre Island.  Joan may have a new favorite beach bar/eatery: we had lunch at Clayton's, advertised as "the biggest beach bar on the Texas Coast."  It has certainly expanded since we were there last - about 4 times the patio area, and a large covered dance floor/concert area with a nice raised stage.  Yep, I can see where this is the place to be.

Not that we'll be partying the night away, but you can also park there and have immediate access to the beach, a nearly place for chow, bathrooms, and a place to rinse off the sand as you head back to your vehicle.

Another warm day.  I was going to do some work in the cargo trailer to set it up for the second bike - that might have to wait for a cooler day.  Or, when I've acclimated.

-------------

On edit:  Joan told me the video wasn't available on her iPad.  I uploaded it to YouTube, here is that link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmwPApgwI8U&feature=youtu.be

----------------------------

And, from a post to my RV friends...

I was feeling a bit guilty that I hadn't really used the GoPro camera.  Back in "the day," we did video production for the better part of a decade in our studio... I really didn't care for that - too much time involved in editing.  The equipment was heavy, shoulder or tripod mounted cameras, battery packs strapped around your waist.  Hours at an editing station.

I was hesitant when Joan wanted to get me a GoPro this summer.  It is small.  It is lightweight.  It has no ability to zoom; you can choose between wide angle and REALLY wide angle.  No viewfinder.  It shoots stills and video.  So, I thought, "I can use it for stills, especially when I'm around water."  (It comes with a waterproof housing.)

After shooting with it a bit, I found the wide angle view as the only option to be pretty limiting.  Oh, I have seem some AMAZING photography/video being done with this thing, but it usually involves someone doing something extreme (surfing, snowboarding, etc, etc... all those etc things I have taken off my list of "Things I would like to do, if it didn't take me SO long to heal."   Roll Eyes

So, today, I strapped the camera to my helmet.  Yeah, I felt dumb... scooter riding, even across the Queen Isabella Memorial Causeway hardly qualifies as extreme.  laugh

I shot about 30 minutes worth of video.  While the editing isn't anything like "the old days," it was still more time in editing than the shooting... by a factor of about 3.  GoPro has free video editing software - it would probably be more efficient if I actually watched a tutorial, but I slogged my way through it.

If I had a day job, I don't think I'd be giving it up.   Wink

I considered strapping the camera to Izzy... but, I figured several hours of napping, followed by some cat-toy hockey, more napping, lunch, and an hour of preening would take even MORE time to edit.  grin



No comments: