Friday, October 11, 2013

Tech Day...

Happy Tech Day to you...

I was determined to not have to send back the GoPro camera.  I was sure there wasn't anything wrong with it (this time).  After reinstalling the GoPro app on the iPhone, and seeing that the app does work with our devices, I decided to give my friends at Apple a call.  They have a great "call you right back" option for support; my new friend, Will, from Apple ran me through a couple things to get the wifi and bluetooth to work.  Within 5 minutes, the connection with the iPhone and the GoPro camera was working just like it's supposed to!

Then, we tried making a bluetooth connection between the iPhone and Joan's iPad... they would find each other, would pair up, but didn't want to connect.  Will suggested I do a full backup to my laptop, then a full re-set to the phone.  I told him: thanks, but no thanks... I was happy it was working with the GoPro, and the bluetooth was not something we use all that much.  I signed off happy.

Joan was even more determined to get the bluetooth working.  In the meantime, I was interested in finding out what the Airdrop was all about.  Airdrop: a wifi connection that allows you to connect your Mac to other devices wirelessly to move files, photos, etc.  I was interested in this, because the gallery part of the new iPhone doesn't give you the option of transferring the photos with bluetooth.  Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro is running the OS prior to Airdrop... an operating system update is necessary.

About that time, I heard the music from the Jawbone speaker fire up - Joan said, "The bluetooth is working fine."  She just reset the bluetooth network, and all is good.  Same thing with my iPhone.  Backing up the laptop took enough time that I slipped in a short nap while waiting for it.

The OS update to Mountain Lion on the Mac is only $19.99.  I had resisted that update due to seeing some less than positive reviews on the OS early on.  I clicked on it... even with a 4G connection (14 mg), the download is going to take some time.  Then the install.  I have done this a bunch in the past, and only ever had one issue... when the download took a dump midway... while we were in the Tetons... with a really slow, crappy internet connection... and I lost everything on my computer.  Not Apple's fault.  However, since I had never had an issue with an OS update, I hadn't taken the time to back up the hard drive.  I spent the rest of the summer getting by without some of my software that was back in Texas.

Hopefully, that won't be an issue this time.  In the time it has taken me to write this post, Mountain Lion is about 7/8 downloaded.  I will install it in a few minutes.  If you don't hear from me for a few days, you'll know why.  ;-)

-----------------

It's a good day to be inside working on this stuff: hot and humid here in the Tropical Tip.  We went out for lunch before starting all the updating.  Yep, I'd describe the current weather as... tropical.  It is supposed to be humid, a good chance of rain for the next few days, and breezy.  I was thinking about getting my kayak out... I may wait a few days.

-----------------

On edit: it worked! 


2 comments:

vwittsche said...

Yes, this is why we are so happy that Jesse is in the "tech field"...as I was able to get all of these updates for no cost. Maybe a babysitting gig or two...I also love it when he can "remote" work on my Mac to do whatever it takes to bring me up to speed. It is a God-send! I will never own a microsoft platform computer, again.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Raising your own tech support - good idea! ;-) He'd be in big trouble if he put you on hold!