Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The big change...

We all knew this was coming.  My aged Droid was in need of being replaced.  I've been thinking about an iPhone since I first saw one years ago.  There was always a reason why I couldn't/wouldn't change: I'm a long time Verizon customer, and 4 years ago, the iPhone wasn't available for Verizon.  I bought the original Droid the day it became available.  And, I liked it.  That's a big deal for a guy who has always been an Apple user.  Since 1981 when we bought an Apple IIe.  And 1984 when we bought our first Mac.  And a bunch of other Macs since then.  We added an iPad to the family as soon as they came out with a version that had a built-in GPS chip.

Two years ago, my original Droid died and I needed another phone.  Verizon had the iPhone, but it wasn't 4G, and the phone was our connection to the internet for all our devices via the built in hot spot on the then new Bionic.

Two years later (today), and the iPhone does what I need, it interacts nicely with all our other Apple devices ('cause Joan has had an iPhone for the past two years), and Verizon is a big ol' pain in the ass by trying to eliminate our unlimited data... we have an old plan that Verizon would like to have go away: not a lot of minutes, but unlimited data.

Buying the iPhone from Apple was easy - the store near us didn't have any new iPhones yesterday, but they showed up on their website last night.  A few clicks on the computer, and we were at the store when they opened this morning.  A short orientation from the Apple guy (who was our age, not a 14 year old kid), we transferred my contacts from the Droid, and we are good to go.

Playing with it tonight, it is actually pretty similar to the Droid, just easier to sync all my stuff from the MacBook Pro.

So, the end of an era.  We are no longer a "mixed marriage."  Easy to load all my navigation apps from the App Store (iTunes) at no charge.  I never put tunes or podcasts on my Droid, a couple clicks and they are easily transferred from the laptop.

I took a photo with it to see how the camera does... not bad.  I won't be giving up my point & shoot with a real zoom lens any time soon.


Very low light, and a moving subject.  No flash.  Oh, and the subject wouldn't look at me... not the camera's fault.  Not much delay when pressing the shutter icon.  Damn, I may go back into professional photography.  Or not.  ;-)


No comments: