Friday, October 4, 2013

Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUSE me!

Yeah, the old Steve Martin routine.  20 bonus points if you remember that.

It was a long driving day... 3 states... 3 different time zones.  We covered over 700 miles.  The speed limit in west Texas is 80 mph.  It would have been nice to do 80 all that way, but when one truck would pass another, they would be doing about 70... then string a line of 4 wheelers until the passing truck could get back in.  I think they do it for the kicks.

We left Phoenix early.  Not early enough to miss rush hour traffic...


Not sure why it is called "rush hour," 'cause with all the stop & go traffic, no one is rushing.  We ran into two busy city traffic areas today: Phoenix in the morning and El Paso in the afternoon.  We ran Big Red at the speed limit.  She gets a lot more miles per gallon when not towing.  No stops to check bearings, brakes, and all those extra tires on trailers... we moved right along.

I have mentioned the higher elevation in west Texas, and some folks think I'm joking.  West Texas does have mountains - here's proof...


We drove until dark, then got off the road in the middle of west Texas.  So as not to offend anyone, I won't mention the name of the town, but it is one of two towns along this route.  It is hot and dusty.  A front is supposed to move in tomorrow... it will be slightly cooler and dusty.

Joan called ahead to get us a room.  It's a nice hotel.  The kid at the front desk told me which room... I didn't check the key card... just tried it in the door of the room the kid told me... the lady in that room was less than thrilled about sharing her room!  I understand.  My key fit the door.  I looked at what was written on the key card: the room next door.  My key fits that door, too.  Nice.

Little Izzy is exploring the room - it is bigger than our room at Steph's place.  Two queen beds - that is a lot of fun for a cat to jump back and forth from one to the other.  She spent most of the day sleeping in her carrier (with the door off) - I really hope she sleeps tonight.

It was a long driving day for me... I hope I sleep tonight, too.


No comments: