Friday, June 15, 2018

I may be getting too old for this...


Nah, I'm kidding; just not used to this manual labor stuff.  We pulled the boat out this morning.  As usual, the weather weasels were wrong - the forecast thunderstorms for the morning didn't happen.  In fact, it was blue sky, lots of sunshine.

As is our usual procedure, Joan takes the trailer to the ramp while I bring the boat around.  Heading out the last canal...


Those orange things on the left side are floats for the dredge pipe.  Even though they haven't been working here for over 3 months, they didn't move their equipment.

Out into the ICW...


I passed the spot where the actual dredge is working...


Apparently, there were places they missed.  Or, additional places for them to dredge so they can make enough money to move their equipment (I've heard both stories).

The swingbridge area is also where the boat ramp is on our island...






That is the ramp on the far right side of the image.  It is a private ramp, fenced and locked.  Owners and guests can use it.  It sure makes things convenient.  About a mile away from our house by road, closer to twice that by water when you count going out the canals.

Even though I was looking into the sun, I could see Joan with the Honda at the ramp - I know I am clear to head on in.


She backs the trailer down the ramp when she sees me getting close.  I drive the boat up onto the trailer.  While I raise the motor and shut down the GPS, she hooks the bow strap...


I hop off the boat and into the CRV and pull the boat up the ramp.  Joan closes the gate to the ramp behind me, and we head for home.  We make a good team - this all goes quickly.

Then, the real work begins.  While I was prepping the boat this morning, Joan got the powerwasher out and hooked up.  When we backed the trailer into our driveway, we went right to work cleaning.  Less slime on the hulls than I expected, no barnacles other than places where there is no bottom paint: the depth sounder transducer and around the zincs.  While one of us powerwashed, the other worked with a hose and a scrub brush; we took turns.  An hour or so of this, and the boat bottom was clean.

Motor flushing, run the fuel out of the motor and fuel lines, siphon the remaining gas out of the tank.  Soapy water and a rinse on the fences (sides of the deck), followed by wiping down.  Joan made us breakfast while I was doing that stuff.

Hook up the trailer and off to the storage unit.  The forecast was calling for partly cloudy.  Of course, we drove through 30 seconds of rain and then passed a piece of farm equipment in a field by the road kicking up dirt and debris.  It is a plot to make sure I have to wash the boat again.  Surprisingly, when we got to the storage unit, the boat wasn't water spotted... one in a row!

We did "the shuffle," with moving the motorhome out so I could back the trailer in.  With the trailer at a diagonal, there is still room to get the motorhome back in.

It is a big load off my mind to have the boat put away so we can get ready to roll with the motorhome at our leisure.  I really feel this is half the work of closing down around here so we can get away.

Joan said, "I hope we don't miss having the boat at the dock for the next week or so."

Me: "Well, if the weather weasels get it right, we're going to be seeing a lot of rain in the next week."  We both agreed: we don't want to be rushed at the end, before we head out, or have to do all this in the rain.  Our timing was good.

Sunny, warm and breezy on the way home.  Joan thought we might sit outside with Rufus when we got home... nope. 89º, but "feels like" 148º.  Well, not quite, but after being outside with the boat and then at the storage unit, the a/c inside feels good!

I can feel the aches and pains, mostly from crawling all around the boat to get the bottom looking like new.  That said, this little pontoon is the easiest boat we've owned - both in moving and maneuvering, and also with upkeep and maintenance.  It's all "right out there," and the size (or lack of size) makes it easy.  In the storage unit (or in our driveway), either one of us can move the boat/trailer around to get it positioned.  We like the comfort of the seating.  And, it is a great platform for sight-seeing and dolphin-watching.  Even though we generally just poke along, the boat is stable and quick when necessary.  In two months+ time this season, we had the boat out an average of 4 times per week and only spent around $50 total on fuel.  Economical to run!  I'm not too old - this is a fun little boat.

I'm already looking forward to our return when the heat and humidity will be waning and the crowds of summer will be dwindling.  Oh, and looking ahead to some good scooter riding up north.


No comments: