Monday, June 11, 2018

Gimme some lip...


No, that is not the way I ask the Blonde for a kiss.

Laminar Lip.  For those not familiar with the powered two wheel world, Laminar Lip, LLC, is a company that makes an addition for motorcycle windshields that uses laminar flow technology to direct the wind from the windshield higher.  By putting a slight opening between the "lip" and the windshield, as well as a forward bend to the lip, it uses the wind itself to direct the flow over the top of your helmet.

Don't you want to "feel the breeze"?  Thanks for asking.  Depending on how the wind flows over the windshield, it can be directed right at your helmet.  That can result in buffeting (not an issue with this windshield) or wind noise... the wind noise with this windshield was LOUD.  Yes, you can use ear plugs, but we like to be able to talk back and forth between the scoots.

Going by the directions that come with the Laminar Lip, I taped it in place to try different height positions.  Yeah, this looks nice...


After the third test, I was ready to permanently mount it.  Laminar Lip includes the attachments necessary.  As long as I keep my speeds under 120 mph or so, the stick-on tabs are good to hold it... like a type of super-strength, one-use Velcro.  Between 120 mph and 200, they suggest you use nylon bolts to keep it in place.  I will be sure to keep it under 120 with the Vespa.  ;-)  For the record, top speed on it is somewhere around 75 to 80 mph.  I'm told.  I have run it up to 70(ish) to see how stable it is (surprisingly so); that's good for me.  The wind roar at that speed was pretty unpleasant (prior to the Laminar Lip).



The wind today is blowing around 25, gusting to 35+.  I took it off our island to run it up to 40 mph briefly, into the wind... giving me the equivalence of 65+ mph.  No decible meter to verify it, but I would guess the sound has been reduced by 75 to 80%.  I would call that a success.

Now, if we could get a break from the heat, humidity, and wind, I could take it out on the highway to give it a serious run.  So... maybe in October?  ;-)

Or, maybe haul the scoots north for some good riding and cooler weather?


2 comments:

PNW GUY said...

I installed one of those on my Burgman 400, and it makes all the difference in the world. Mine is a different brand that is adjustable up and down, and you can tilt it at different angles. I am amazed at the difference in road noise. I would say 90% of the air flow is directed over the top of the helmet, and with a scooter being very quiet in the first place, it makes for a very relaxing ride. I always wear a full faced helmet and at speeds below 50 MPH, I feel safe keeping the lens wide open and very little air hits my face.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Surprising how much difference that "lip" makes. Everything feels less "busy" at speed because of the reduced noise.