Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The end of an era...


Yesterday, our neighbor called us.  This is the widow of my friend Randy, who passed away 9 weeks ago.  I have been helping her with putting the boat up for sale.  She called to say there was a gentleman from California coming today at 9:00am... "Would you be here with me?"

"Absolutely."

The guy arrived at exactly 9:00.  After brief introductions, he was anxious to see the boat.  He walked all around it, looked in both hulls, asked a few questions, then said, "I understand your situation with selling the boat.  My wife said to not dicker with you about the price."

I asked, "Does this mean you will take the boat?"

"Yes, of course..."  He went on to explain that he has been looking for a MacGregor 36 for a project he is planning: to make a cruising catamaran with twin cat-rig sails, one on each hull.  I mentioned that I had seen a boat like that on-line a few years ago.  He pulled up a photo of exactly that on his phone and said, "I designed it and had it built."  A definite one-of-a-kind.

Turns out, it really is a small world - he also owned several Corsair Trimarans in the past.  We know some of the same people from that trimaran world.

I rode with him over to our local boatyard so he could make preparations for getting the boat pulled out a couple weeks from now.  This 36' cat is going to be re-born.  I am glad that the boat is going to someone who knows it and has definite plans for it.

I called Joan to have her make up a Bill of Sale, and we went back to our house for Cindy and this gentleman to sign the papers.

This boat has been a focal point in Randy and Cindy's lives for over 35 years.  I sailed with Randy on the boat, and I know how much he loved it.  I know there will be some tears shed when the boat goes away in a couple weeks.  Truly, the end of an era.


--------

Cindy took us out for a late lunch as a thanks for helping her sell the boat.  I told her that wasn't necessary, but I think she was relieved that the boat will be moving on to someone who knows how to care for it.  She suggested Blackbeard's, and we're always in for that.  She offered to drive; just before departure time, I asked Joan if I'd be OK driving separate... I wanted to take the scoot across the causeway - it is some "wide open" area here, with heights ranging from about 70 feet above the water to about 20 feet.  There is no "hiding" from the wind while riding across there.  The Laminar Lip make the ride even more of a delight - I could actually hear the faint clicking noise from the disc brakes at highway speed.

The scoot parked at Blackbeard's...


On the ride home, I had a bit of a tailwind - now, that is quiet!





No comments: