Monday, April 17, 2017

Morning shower...


No, not about my personal hygiene.

When I got up this morning, after opening the shades and feeding Izzy, I stepped outside - for the first time since we've been back home, there was no wind.  Calm; 77º and humid.  We decided to go for a short boat ride before breakfast.

Joan cut up some fruit to take along, while I got the boat ready.  Heading down our canal...


The water in the canal looks like a mirror.  Our timing was good for getting through the swing-bridge on the hour.  The ICW on the way to the bridge...


There were 3 other boats waiting for the bridge to open; I called the bridge on the VHF, since none of the other boats had done that.  It opened, and we took turns going through...


Yeah, that cloud behind us looked a bit ominous.  I had checked weather before we left: no more than a 15% chance of precip this morning.  Out into the Laguna Madre, we could see to the north...



15%??  I'm thinking the weather weasels missed that again.  We turned south; looked like a chance of some sun that way...


Not sure if that was "I'm the Queen of the World!" or embracing the sun that was peeking through.  It wasn't long before the rain started coming down...


Not hard pounding, but we decided to put out the bimini... not for the shade, but for the rain.  Shortly after the rain started, the wind came up, out of the northeast.  I turned us west southwest in the ship channel, putting the wind behind us - matched our speed to the wind, and we stayed drier under the bimini.

We did see some dolphins from a distance, but decided to keep moving and head for home.  Looking north to the Turning Basin, I could see that we were in for more rain between us and home...


The tall portion of that structure in the middle is the twin drilling ships.  It makes a good landmark, since the terrain is so flat around here.  We would be going west, then north to head for that area; then a turn to the east to get into the canals on our island.

Joan took this shot of me...


... as we moved west in the ship channel.  That is a sun hat, with a neck flap to keep the sun off the back of my neck.  Kinda looks like Goofy ears.  Generally, it serves a purpose, but I didn't need sun protection this morning.

This area could use the moisture, but it was a light sprinkle as we pulled up to our dock.  We were only out for about an hour and a half, but it was still a nice way to start the day.

------------------

On edit:

Breakfast was great.  We watched a movie (Joan is liking her Amazon Prime for movies and books).  I checked weather, in anticipation of a sunset boat outing... the weasels are now predicting rain for tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night, and Wednesday morning.  I decided to put the cover on the boat, instead.

Sailing friend Henry recently bought a SunTracker pontoon and asked me "the secret" to getting the cover on at the dock.  After doing it a dozen times or so, I figured out the least-effort way to do it... still not easy, but it is the least amount of wresting with the cover and shimmying under it.  The sun had come out, and it was now warm and humid (80º and about 200% humidity)... except for under the cover (which you have to do for the last couple set-up steps), where it was 375º and about 1,000% humidity, give or take a percentage point or two.

It has been three months since I've done this.  Yes, my "system" for getting the cover on is still the least amount of fussing, but nothing could help the massive amount of sweating.

This will be today's exercise routine.  I need a nap.

;-)


No comments: