Sunday, April 9, 2017

The march...


What?  It's April?  Time flies when you don't know what you're doing.

Just kidding, I know what month it is.  I can even tell you the date and day of the week most days... well, because it says it right there on my MacBook Pro.  ;-)

I'm talking about "The March of the Penguins"... not the movie, but the constant march between the coach and the house as we get moved back in.  I got that nomenclature from friend MJ, and it certainly describes the process.  Of course, they have a BIG coach and we have a little coach, so there is more marching for them... because we do tend to fill up every cabinet, drawer, and underneath storage compartment we have.

We have a system: for the most part, Joan packs, I schlepp, and we each unpack our own stuff.  Remember that "humidity" I was happy to feel?  Yep, sweatin' like a farm animal.  It is warm (81º) and windy - 22 mph, gusting to 30.  And, did I mention: humid?

Old timers around here will tell you that the wind is "the saving grace here," bringing that sea breeze in and keeping it cooler than 30 miles inland.  Different old timers in Wyoming used to say the same thing about the chinook winds in the winter months.  Any way you look at it, it's windy.  The last two days heading for home... yep, windy.  Yeah, I get it: springtime in the Tropical Tip.  And I will tell you, it is better than being cold.

But, it feels nice to come inside and have some cool water and enjoy the air conditioning.  We will eventually turn down the a/c to something above "meat locker" as we acclimate again.  And speaking of water: even when we are hooked to city water in the motorhome, we are conservative with water usage, because if not, it will just fill the holding tanks faster.  I almost felt guilty this morning as I let the water run a bit to get hot in my bathroom (on the side of the house furthest from the tankless water heater).

On the bright side, without being maniacs about it, the coach is pretty well unloaded by 1:00.  The e-bikes are out of the Honda, and it is put back to being a comfortable daily driver.  Both vehicles are in dire need of a thorough bath, but the evidence of springtime in south Texas and suicidal bugs shows me that I have a lot of scrubbing to do.  Another day.

The coach is plugged in, the a/c is keeping the interior comfortable.  I will drain the holding tanks to get it ready for storage.  Still plenty to do, but for right now, it feels good to sit inside and enjoy the air conditioning.  Plus, there are some guitars that need to get played, and introduced to their new sibling, the X20.

;-)


No comments: