Sunday, April 9, 2017

You wouldn't understand...


The moving back in process continues.  While in Phoenix, we picked up a new Bose sound bar for one of the home TVs.  The price was good (especially for Bose), and it looked pretty simple for set up.

While one of us (and I'm not mentioning who) was getting the Dish and the sound bar set up, I asked, "Would you like some help with that?"

The response: "You're not 'techie,' you wouldn't understand how this sets up."

One of us, and I'm not mentioning who, but it was me, was a bit miffed by that statement.

So, I waited until the sound bar didn't work, and one of us, and I'm not mentioning who, had to ask me, "Can you give me a hand with this?"

"Probably not, 'cause I'm not too 'techie'... I'm just pretty," I said.

"Here - I'll bring it to you."

"Good, 'cause my back hurts and I'm not getting up."  That's what us non-techie people do... or don't do.

I looked at the manuals for the Bose and the TV... "It says you need a receiver, and you have no in or outputs left from the Dish receiver."  The manual for the Bose gave you two options: an optical audio connection (cable included) or a coax to 3mm connection (cable not included), but it didn't matter because we still didn't have any outputs left from the Dish receiver, which we have already set up for HDMI and coax.

I asked, "What is this connection?" pointing to an AUX input on the Bose.

"It doesn't say."

"Could you bring me a 3mm stereo jack cord so I can see if that fits?" I asked.

"What's that?"

"Well, I'm not real 'techie,' but it is the cord that your Jawbone or headphones use."  Hardly any sarcasm at all.

Yep - the Bose has an old fashioned 3mm AUX connection; the TV has a headphone out connection, that is... yep, a 3mm stereo jack connection.  So, just like in the old fashioned days, it works.  Perfect.  Apparently, Bose is not aware of this, since they clearly state in the manual that there are only two connections for this sound bar, and this ain't one of them.

"So, who's smart, techie, and pretty?" I asked.

"You are, Dear."

Yeah, I know.  ;-)

It sounds great, by the way.






No comments: