You're doing the Limbo, Jimbo?
No, I am not, and don't call me Jimbo. The Emerald X10 was in need of some new strings. I had moved to 11s on my other acoustic guitars; guitar players will know what I am talking about - a short explanation for civilians: the gauge of the high E-string. If that didn't answer anything for you, it is lighter than I have been using. It's part of my move to making all my guitars easier for these old hands to play.
I decided to put 10s on the X10. I had to hunt through my string inventory to come up with a set that was that light - fortunately, I had half of a 12-string set from when I put Nashville tuning on my X7.
I took the strings off one-by-one...
I cleaned the fretboard and polished the frets while I had access to them.
The saddles on the X10 are adjustable. I lowered them one-by-one...
It is a balancing act: too low and the strings will buzz on the frets above them. When I had it set as low as I could get it with no buzz, I called it good and snugged up the new strings. Tuned them up to pitch. Yep, that feels easier on the fingers and no buzz. The neck has a truss rod, but it didn't need to be tweaked. Good to go.
And just for fun, I played the X10 for a while through the new amp. The X10 is an acoustic that has a humbucking pickup as well as individual piezos... the premise from Emerald on this guitar: an acoustic that can also be played like an electric. It sounds decent through the Deluxe Reverb amp.
With that guitar done, I should be able to take some time off from guitar "tweaking." Today was supposed to be a get together with the guys at Mark's house kinda music day, but I am still sneezing, snotting, and coughing, so I chose to stay away. I was disappointed, because this will be the last chance to get together with Ron; he and his wife are heading to the Pacific Northwest until September (where it will definitely be cooler than here in Phoenix). It's always a treat to get together with my music buddies, but better to not spread this fun cold crap around.


No comments:
Post a Comment