Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Enabler and staying focused...

Joan had one "project" for today: re-engineering a desk.  She had a desk in what is now the music room.  I was very willing to share that room with her desk.  No, the desk was replaced by some "softer" furniture in that room.  Today's plan: cut down the width of that desk to make it fit in the bedroom.  She had a plan, I was just the operator of the power tools to make it fit.

I got to have the morning making music.  I am loving that room: all the guitars accessible, amps stacked and on with the flip of one switch, a comfortable chair... and the area rug to soften all those hard surfaces.  It sounds really good!  Joan went to the store, making sure we are stocked up for Thanksgiving and the weekend.

After lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant, I was commenting about "how nice the water looks, " as we drove back across the swing bridge.  She said to me, "Do you want to go once around the island and then do the desk?"  Usually, I cave when she is enabling, but this desk is the last house project for a while... plus, she has been great about getting the music room set up for me, I just wanted to get her desk project done.

"Sounds inviting, but let's get the desk done and see if we have any daylight and ambition left."  I can't believe I said that.  We went back to the house and started disassembling the desk.  I cut the top and bottom surfaces of the desk, drilled new holes to make the legs fit, measured twice, cut once... and, it all went together just like she planned.

This project pretty much took up the whole afternoon, so the boat ride around the island didn't happen.  No doubt, it would have been a great ride - temp in the upper 70s, light wind, sunny... the water really did look ideal.  Maybe tomorrow?

I had to laugh at one point... after carefully cutting the desktop, Joan said, "Ohhhh..." I thought I had messed up the cut.  Then she said, "This scrap piece would have been perfect for that shelf you made for the TV in the living room entertainment center."

She's right - the color matches even better than the shelf I put in there.  I'm guessing no one will ever know.

Later, when I was joking about her being "an enabler," she said, "It's a good thing you aren't addicted to anything... I would probably make it easy for you."

"Umm, I meant to tell you about my crack habit."

"Oh, let me see if I can find a coupon for that for you!"

Yeah, that's a joke. ;-)

No comments: