Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Comparisons...


I have been playing the heck out of the new Emerald X10.  My fingers are feeling it.

There is an active group of carbon fiber guitar players on a forum where I spend too much time.  Several asked for model comparisons, especially considering that there aren't a lot of X10s out in the wild, yet.

It took me a while to remember how to turn on the Zoom H4n Pro recorder.  No effects, I recorded each of the three guitars on one verse of a James Taylor cover...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/emerald-guitars-test

They all sounded pretty similar in that recording.  They aren't.  I had to listen to that recording with headphones, and even then it didn't much show the differences between each model.

The stereo mics on the Zoom were placed about 10 - 12" from the 12th fret and the soundhole on each guitar.  In person, the X20 has more volume, more bass, and a richer tone... as you'd expect because it is bigger (physics).  The X10 really shines when plugged in - that is what this guitar is all about.

I was playing some electric guitar licks with it last night, plugged into an electric guitar amp.  Joan said, "I think I need to get you a wah wah pedal!"

Or, in the words of the philosophers Wild Cherry: play that funky music, white boy.  ;-)




No comments: