Monday, October 29, 2018

So, I went back to check on my boat...


We took the boat to the dealer.  Even though I had made arrangements on Saturday to bring the boat in today, the service writer had no idea who I was or why I was there.  I explained the situation and under what circumstances the boat was stalling.  I specifically said, "It seems to be a fuel delivery problem, my guess is the fuel pump is crappy out sporadically."

He said, "Yeah, we'll put the computer on it and it will tell us if the fuel pump is bad."

I said, "It won't be apparent if you run it at low RPM and without a load on it.  Can you just put a vacuum on it to see if the pump is drawing properly?"

To which he said, "The computer will tell us."

I went back to the car and said to Joan, "They are SO not going to be able to replicate the problem."

We went out for breakfast and did some shopping.  I was told they would have some info for me within an hour or so.  Two hours later (no word from them), we drove back to the dealer... my boat was gone.

"So, where's my boat?" I asked.

Another service guy said, "They took it out to Rio Hondo to run it, 'cause they couldn't find anything wrong with it."

I was not happy.  Mostly because there was NO safety equipment on the boat, nor the registration - I had removed all that stuff from the boat in case it had to sit out at the dealer.  Frustrated, I said to Joan, "Let's just go home (45 miles) - I'm sure they will call when they get back."

We had been home about 20 minutes when they did call... "Yeah, there's nothing wrong with your boat.  I think maybe you just didn't open the vent on the fuel tank."

I exploded!  That service guy didn't know what to do, so he said, "Let me get the service manager."

I exploded on him, as well.  Yeah, it was the guy who wrote up the service order.  Hollering at him may have not been the nicest was to go, but they are wasting their time AND mine, and they took my boat out on the water WITHOUT me along.  I could have saved us all a bunch of time if the dumbass service writer hadn't farted me off.

"What do we do now?" I asked.  "Because if I come get the boat, I will guaran-damn-tee you it will stall again because you didn't do anything to fix the problem."

He mentioned the fuel tank vent again... "Do you really think I am so stupid that I would go through the work of getting the boat out of the water, hauling it an hour to you, and NOT know if the vent was open or closed?  And, your techs are incompetent if they didn't open the vent before they started the engine!"  Opps, I was hollering again.

"I will come to Rio Hondo - have someone meet me there with the boat.  I will be there in 45 minutes."

I met the two mechanics at the boat ramp there (closest one to their shop), loaded the proper safety equipment and paperwork onboard, and we launched the boat.  "I'll drive," I told them.

Less than 25 minutes later, the engine stalled.  Then again.  And again.  "So, we now know that I am not just some crazy ol' gringo, right?"

"No, sir, we never thought that."

Riiiiiiiight.

Just listening to the engine, one of the mechanics said, "Yeah, that's a fuel pump problem.  There are two fuel pumps on this motor - we'll change them both."  (a lift pump and a high-pressure pump)

"So, it is probably too late to get this back to your shop and change those out today, I suppose?" I asked.  "So, can I pick it up tomorrow?"

"Well, that depends on whether we have both pumps in stock."

"Rather that wait 'till you get back to the shop, why don't you call Tony (parts manager) and find out NOW, so I will have some idea of what to expect."

He did.  They have the pumps.  They will call me tomorrow.  Maybe.

Communication.  And LISTENING.  I really don't like it when they think "the computer" will give them all the answers.  One simple phone call when they decided to take my boat to run it on the water would have eliminated all this unpleasantness.

For the record, I have had very good service experiences with this place in the past.  The previous service manager listened and kept me informed.  It makes a difference.

2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Most "Mechanics" Today only know what the Computer tells them what is wrong-- They are NOT Mechanics.. They are simply "Parts Changers"..

Get all the parts back that are changed and take them apart and see what failed-- They may not like that though.. They did come off your Engine and should belong to you-- If they want them back tell them they can have them back when you are done with them and they can come pick them up..

JMHO..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

First - get the boat back. ;-)