Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Back to the river...


The dealer called this morning while we were eating breakfast, asking if we wanted to meet at that same boat ramp to test out the boat - they have replaced both fuel pumps.

Yes, we do.  We met them there and launched the boat... it ran like a champ... until it didn't.  It stalled once after bringing down the RPMs fairly briskly.  Then, I couldn't get it to do that again.  A fluke?

After running the boat more, there was a "hesitation" between 3,500 and 4,000 RPMs - it didn't stall, just that hesitation.  It is 90% better than it was.  Then the rub: I couldn't get it to replicate that hesitation again.  I considered taking the boat home and using it to determine if it was something that would show up more with extended running.  They hooked the computer to it while we were on the water, but it didn't show anything wrong.  Discussing it with the mechanics, we decided that they would take it back to the shop and consult with the manufacturer.

Yesterday, I was pissed.  Today, I am more understanding - they are being thorough and willing to work with me to get through the issue.  I am over the shock of them taking my boat out without discussing that with me first (especially since I was right there in town at the time).

So, we are back home without a boat.  Maybe for a few days while they try to come up with a solution.

------

At the boat ramp where we met, as I was getting ready to back the boat off the trailer...


A tug pushing a barge down the river... yeah, I think we'll give it a minute or two to let the water settle down.

------

This afternoon, a call from the mechanic - a call to Mercury came up with "try changing the spark plugs and running some 'cleaner' through the engine."  Their stuff, not good ol' Seafoam that I've been using in boat motors for decades.  Also a suggestion to run the motor harder and faster more often - we spend a lot of time at slow speeds.

My last thought is a problem with a spark plug wire, and that is darn hard to diagnose if the issue is intermittent.  The mechanic checked, cleaned and gapped the plugs, but I told him to go ahead and put fresh ones in; and I'll pick up some of their "cleaner" when I pick the boat up tomorrow.  The hesitation I felt on the water today was barely perceptible - all three of us were being hyper sensitive to any abnormality.  If it runs at least as good as it did on the water today, I am a happy boy.

Crappy weather moving in tomorrow for a couple days, so it is likely we won't put the boat back in the water for a few days.




No comments: