Sunday, July 5, 2026

Quieter... sorta

 

So, how did it go last night?  The neighbors (behind Steph and Dan's yard) that were SO noisy on New Years Eve were absent last night.  I really thought people would heed all the warnings about fire danger and the ban on fireworks in city limits.

I did mention previously that we are right on the edge of city limits and the county.  There is a place up the mountain from us - last year on the 4th, they actually started two fires on their property with all the fireworks.  You would think they would learn...


 Umm... nope.  So much for that "no fireworks that leave the ground" ban.  This was just one small snippet.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy a good fireworks display.  Especially when they are put on by professionals.  But, I no longer have any interest in dealing with the crowds and traffic to go see them.  It used to be easy when we lived in the Tropical Tip and could take our boat into the bay and watch "the biggest fireworks display in the State of Texas" from the cockpit.  And not have to deal with the traffic getting on and off the island.  Dock to bay, bay to dock - no traffic, no waiting.

I had anticipated that the majority of the noise here would die down after 10:00 pm.  That was the peak, but there was a bell curve on either side of that.

The most important thing: how did the kitties do?  Murph was totally chill; little Stella had concerns, but no panic.  I think it helped that Mom and Dad didn't react to all the popping noise out there.  I haven't visited with Steph and Dan yet today to see how their critters did.

So, Happy Birthday, America!  Other than Mother Nature causing some issues around the country, seems that the party went off as planned.

 

1 comment:

Earl49 said...

Both Lucy and Duke were terrified and skulked around all evening with their tails low. Alice suggested giving then some Gabapentin as a sedative. Last year that did nothing to calm Duke and Lucy (who goes outside) managed to sprain one leg trying to jump when loopy. So we toughed it out. I had the TV on louder than normal. It all finally died down a bit after midnight, and Lucy finally calmed enough to lay on top of me soon after,. Until then she just hid under the bed. Yesterday morning I picked up the debris from MY driveway that was blown there by the illegal aerial displays and mortars.

But you cannot fix stupid.