Now, what'd you do?
Thanks for the sympathy. I didn't do nuthin'. A couple days ago, I got a raging pain in my jaw. I had this to a lesser degree last year, and the dentist showed me on Xrays that it was in inflammation in my sinus "tubes" that run through the jaw. It went away. This pain was showing no sign of easing up.
I took sinus meds; tried heat on my sinuses...
Yeah, it's a look. Didn't help. I broke down and called the dentist's office. With pain, they get you in right away. More Xrays... "See this dark area right here?" Yes. "Did the pain come on fast and hard?" Oh, hell yes.
"I think you're going to need a root canal."
Nobody wants to hear that.
3 comments:
It sucks, but when you NEED a root canal you really want it. Good luck.
Alice is back in Boston for the night, flying home tomorrow. Another long travel day....
Well, get used to hearing that. It is an age thing. Welcome to the club. In my teens it was fillings, then in my 30's it was crowns, then starting in my 60's it is root canals. Then in the 70's it was extractions and implants. You will notice each phase is more expensive than the last. I got all my teeth; it is just that they aren't all natural. I bet my fillings cost $5, then the crowns were $375, root canals are around $600 (not too sure of this, as most all of my root canals were done in Mexico and Peru). When you have to have it pulled and get an implant, that is probably around $4,000 (again, ours have been in Mexico). I wouldn't normally trust a Mexican dentist, but we have one that is probably the best dentist I have ever been to. And she accommodates me on my fear of pain. There is no worse pain than when you need a root canal. The good news is that after the root canal, you will quickly be back to normal.
Hi Earl and Jeff. The dentist put me on an antibiotic. While waiting for that to help (he said "a couple days"), the pain has been seriously nasty... and nothing seemed to help. Ibuprofen has been my go-to for a couple decades - it did nothing.
My experience has mirrored Jeff's: I have several crowns, a couple root canals, and an implant. Some in Mexico, some in the US. I like my current dentist here in Phoenix - he referred. me out for the root canal consult. We'll see how that goes.
Post a Comment