Monday, October 16, 2017

Another step closer...


We have been home nearly 4 weeks.  I expected to have the boat back in the water within a week of our return.  The dredge operation apparently had other plans.  Through all the excuses and promises, we have been trying to work with them.  Last Friday, I was told they would be out of our canal "on Monday."  Today is Monday.  Yeah, they're still here.

It's a special day in our household, and one of us had a specific place where she wanted to dine for lunch today.  In Harlingen.  Coincidentally, that is near where our storage unit is.  Which happens to have our boat in there.

Kind of a big day for me, too - it's the first time we've had a meal out in a week!  And I ate real food.  With Italian spices.  And red sauce.  My jaw was tired by the time we finished, but I also snuck some food to the "rough side" of my mouth - those taste buds on that side have been deprived.  It was a delight!

After lunch, we headed to our storage unit and started "the shuffle":  Motorhome out...


At the far end of the storage unit, the boat is waiting for its turn...


The boat pulled out...


The motorhome back in, everything locked up, and we're on our way home.  It has been a blustery day here, after several quite calm days.  The wind was north northwest, so at our back on our way home.  A cold front came through last night, and today's highs were in the 70s - a refreshing change!

I stopped to fuel up the boat tank and then back home...


No, it isn't back in the water.  I need to charge the battery, hook it back up, and run the boat for a bit in the driveway to make sure everything is working good before it goes back in the water.  I may just go sit on it and make "motorboat noises" this evening.  ;-)  (Insert you own joke here)

It may be another day or two before Cool Change (the boat's name) gets launched again.  Lines and fenders need to be set up on our dock.  A dredge needs to move.  Really - a dredge needs to move.

Looking across the canal this evening...


It will look even better out there with a boat at our dock.  :-)  Soon.


2 comments:

Bob said...

Jim, I just finished reading "Cat On A Leash". I cried at the end. The book is a good way to put your C-Brats blog in perspective. Wild Blue, Big Red, all the hassle with the bathroom repair after the storm and on and on and on. While I enjoy the current posts, I miss the boat posts. Best to you and the Blonde and Izzy. Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi, Bob. Nice to hear from you. We enjoyed our time with Wild Blue, but we both felt ready for a change. Hopefully, there will be some boat posts soon. A way different boat, for sure, but we're looking forward to being on the water again.

Best wishes,
Jim