Thursday, October 19, 2017

A morning like this makes me wish...


... I drank coffee.  Starting out in the dark, watching the world wake up - seems like something out of a coffee commercial.

My goal for this trip: watch the sunrise from the boat.  In the words of the philosopher Forrest Gump: "Life is like a box of chocolates - you don't know what you're gonna get."  It wasn't a typical sunrise, but there was plenty to observe and Mother Nature made a dramatic sky...


It was black outside when I shoved off from the dock...


The lights in the Port Isabel Turning Basin...



As the sky lighted in the east, I could see the cloud layer at the horizon.

A bait shrimper putting nets out...


The lights on South Padre Island...


The camera makes the sky look lighter than it was (thank you adjustable ISO).  Quite a bit of boat traffic out there...


A Gulf shrimper heading in, a crewboat heading out.

The first bit of pink in the morning sky...


Sure, but what about the dolphins?  Thanks for asking.  I could here them surface and breathe before I could see them.  Only saw a few this morning - even with the higher ISO, there wasn't enough light to capture their movement...


The first sign of sunrays...






The light coming through the openings in the clouds...




The morning commute - check out the crowd on the back of that crewboat...


Coast Guard small boat blasting by...


The sun over the clouds...


I was out for a couple hours, taking it all in.  Nice way to start the day.  My Honey was out on the deck with her coffee and came down to the dock to grab lines as I came in.  Little Izzy was up on the deck, keeping an eye on the activity...


Joan brought out hot chocolate for me, along with our morning pastries, out on the deck.

Good morning, world!


5 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

If I lived there-- I would start my day like that too.. My Father and I used to take early Morning rides "That Was Over 30 Years ago" on the Long Island-- He would go Water Skiing..

Thanks for sharing..

Hudson River Boater said...

That is-- Water Skiing after the Sun came up a bit.. Then we would go to work together..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Glad you added the second comment - water skiing in the dark??!! ;-) It is nice to have that time on the water as the world is waking up.

MartyP said...

such beautiful photos. I still think your photo of the flower petals strewn on the water is the most beautiful I have ever seen. It touches me deeply.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Marty. I will always remember that ashes scattering ceremony and the perfect timing of the whales' arrival. Those of us who have an attachment to the water understand - I share your sentiments.