Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Early morning outing...


I didn't get out as early this morning - oh, it was before sunrise, but not during the dark of night.  Looking down our canal as I pulled away from the dock...


At the end of our canal, looking southeast...


Around and out the next canal (facing northwest)...


Light in the sky, but the sun is not up, yet...



No other boats on this breezy morning, other than this crewboat going by...


The first bit of sun peeking at the horizon...





Without some clouds at the horizon, the sunrise is not as dramatic as the last time I was out.


With the east wind blowing around 15, there is a fetch in the ship channel, coming from the Gulf of Mexico, making for a 1 to 1 1/2 foot chop...


You notice that on a boat with a 16' waterline.

A few more work boats...



Looking west on this clear morning, you can see all the way to the Port of Brownsville, about 12 miles down the ship channel...


A low light selfie...


Except for the breeze (which was building), a gorgeous day - upper 70s as the sun came up, clear blue sky.

With the testing of the refurb camera last night and the morning's shooting, the battery let me know it was about ready to crap out.  I was hoping to get more photos of the birds, but managed just this one (at quite a distance) to show the variety of birds...


I guess they hadn't heard of that whole "birds of a feather..." stuff.

I have another battery for the camera, so I guess I will have to bring both when out on the boat.  Testing further, the camera seems to be doing what it is supposed to do.  The Canon G3x is a capable camera, at the top of the point & shoot foodchain... almost as big as my small Nikon DSLR body.  The lens, with a maximum focal length of 600mm (35mm equivalence) is a plus and a minus: it lets you zoom to bring further objects closer, but it is almost impossible to hand-hold it at that lens length, especially in the low light of the early morning.

A very pleasant morning outing.