Wednesday, October 11, 2017

One more power outage...


Yes, it's that time again.  This is supposed to be the last planned power outage and will complete the replacement of the power company's equipment on our island.

I was wondering if it was going to happen today because we woke up to thunder, lightning, wind and light rain.  We saw the trucks come rolling in, so apparently that doesn't stop them.

Nice thing today with that weather: we really don't need the air conditioner, so we set up the generator for running the fridge, a fan, and our satellite TV equipment...


Easy.  They were a few minutes later at cutting the power today.  I was in the bathroom (no, I will not go into detail) - there are no windows in there.  Dark.  Really dark.

While out starting the generator, I looked down the canal to check on the dredge...


Yep, it's a long ways down the canal...


Still doesn't look like they're doing anything with it.  Yet.

I still look chipmonk-ish.  No singing until the stitches heal.  I picked up my favorite guitar yesterday and could actually feel that powerful body rumble in my jaw... yeah, not gonna do that.  Instead, I played the one I've set up for Nashville tuning, or as Joan calls it: plinky-plink.  Today, I played the X7 for a few minutes, including a small bit of humming.  Yeah, living on the edge.

I think I'm healing - Joan made me scrambled eggs this morning, with a piece of barely toasted bread cut into bite-size pieces.  It's a start.

We are sitting in a relatively dark house, since it is gray out.  Yeah, we could plug in a lamp on the line run in from the generator, but this should be reasonably brief today - they are saying they should wrap it up by 4:00 this afternoon.  In the meantime, we are enjoying the change of weather...


68º outside - first that we've seen that since we've been home.  The thunder is still rumbling in the distance.  Nice change of pace.

---------------------

Lunch time has rolled around.  Joan asked what I'd really like to eat.  "Well, I'd really like a bacon cheeseburger, but I can't open my mouth that far, so... I'll probably just have mashed potatoes."

With no power, she used our small butane cooktop to make me a juicy burger - no bun, no bacon, no ketchup - cut into small pieces to go with my mashed potatoes.


She said, "I think you need the protein."

Yeah, that's it.  ;-)

-------------

On edit: 3:55 pm and the power is back on.  I went to check mail and asked one of the power company workers if they were done done...  "Well, one of the pipes broke, so we'll try to replace that tomorrow.  In the meantime, we ran the powerlines above ground, so you have power.  But, there will be another interruption when we set that line."

So, almost done.


2 comments:

MartyP said...

One of my favorites--cut up a hamburger like Joan just did. Mix it into the mashed potatoes with some ketchup. Then add a layer of baked beans. On top of that a layer of sauerkraut..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I can't open my mouth wide enough (yet) for layers, Mary! I'll put this on "the list"... probably a ways behind pizza, spaghetti (stuff with spicy tomato), and popcorn. Oh, and a steak! Maybe some BBQ brisket. Great, now I'm drooling.