Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Sitting on the dock of the bay...


OK, more like the dock on the canal.

I started my morning with boat chores: hooked up the battery and finished charging it.  With water muffs on the water intake, I fired the motor up... she roared to life right away.  Well, it's a 40 hp motor - it purred to life.  ;-)  With a good steady pee stream.  Talking about the boat still.  I ran it until the motor warmed up, shifted in and out of forward and reverse, checked the steering - all good.  With the engine cowling off, the motor looks like brand new; well, it is only one year old.

I took soapy water to the seating - looking pretty.  Checked lights.  Connected the GPS/sounder and checked it out.  Moved the bimini frame from the trailering position to "let's get out on the water" position.

During all this, "the boss" of the dredge operation came by - "I have the line to replace what you gave us."  While I was just expecting my anchor line back, he bought new line.  I don't think he wanted to change out the line on the dredge if they didn't have to.

Of course, the first question from me was: "Are ya done in this canal?"

"We are just waiting for someone from the resort to check the depths before we move the dredge."

"Can I get by you?

"We'll have someone on the dredge move it so you can."

So... we may really finally be there.  Did you hear that other shoe drop?  Yeah, me, too.

The maintenance manager for our village came by... "Did they get that new line to you?"  (Yes.)

I asked, "Did you check their depths in this canal?"

"Yes, they need to take a little more out in a couple places..."

So, they aren't really done in this canal.  Surprise!  No, not really much of a surprise.

While Joan scrubbed sun screens on our deck, and put away our "auxiliary power/air conditioning" stuff (the scheduled power outages are done), I put lines and fenders on the dock.  We actually had a late lunch out on our deck... overlooking the dock... where our boat should be... but, it isn't going to happen today.


(Sung to the tune of "Annie") - The boat'll go in tomorrow.  Bet your bottom dollar there'll be dolphins... come what may...

;-)

2 comments:

Bill K said...

Jim,
I am getting ready to come out of the water for the winter. ( Toledo Ohio )

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Ohhhh... sorry to hear that, Bill. But, Mother Nature rules. Stay warm for the next few months until it's time to put the boat back in.

Jim