Friday, October 13, 2017

Superstitious?


If you said, "Stevie Wonder, 1972," you get 20 bonus points.  "Why so few points?" you ask.  Really?  Because: Stevie Wonder.

Today is Friday the 13th.  I'm not superstitious.  Oh, I believe that people go a little crazy during a full moon, but that is physiological, not superstition.

I was thinking we might go to a movie today... we had talked about it last night.  One of us thought it would cruel and unusual punishment to eat popcorn in front of the other.  Honestly, I was OK with the whole idea; how exhausting can it be to sit through a movie?  So, we compromised and scrapped it.

That said, I was needing some kind of outing... one of us suggested, "How about a trip to the store to find you something soft and bland to eat?"

"Hoooweeee - you don't think that will be too much excitement??"

One of the side effects of getting your mouth worked on is apparently crankiness and irritability.  I think that is a sign of healing, thus a good thing.  I would be a party of one.

On the way to the store, one of our tire monitor lights lit up.  I stopped, Joan got out to check (they all look fine), and staring at us from about 20 feet away... a black cat.  Good thing I'm not superstitious.

At the store, Joan went on ahead while I checked the tires - one that was about 3 pounds low, aired it up.  I met her inside and we picked up the few things on her list.  It made me laugh, it made me cry, kept me on the edge of my seat.  No, wait - that's the review if we had gone to see a movie.

We didn't need much, so rolled up to the Self Check Out.  You do the work and don't get an employee discount.  Joan scanned the last item and the machine said, "Item error"... we waited for the lady who watches over the Self Check Out, and she tried to punch in her employee code to over-ride the machine.  It wouldn't take her number.  Well, sometimes it would take one number but not the next.  After a few minutes of this fun, I expected her to tell us to take our stuff to another check out, but she did some kind of incantation on the machine and it said, "Proceed to payment."

Out to the car, started it up, and the tire monitor warning went out.  Out of the parking lot and onto the main road through town... it was a race!  A slow race... a ratty pickup in the left lane and an SUV with their turn signal on, but not turning, in the other lane... each driving a blazing 15 to 18 mph, stacking up traffic behind them.  Definitely not typical for here.

I kid you not: they each turned off the road just before we made our turn.  Coincidence?  I think not.

The highlight of the day: seeing dolphins as we came across our bridge.  The other highlight: my Honey made me fettuccine alfredo (soft and not spicy) for lunch.  A nap instead of a movie.  Either way, no popcorn.  And, a cute blonde and gray kitty to cross my path.

--------------

On edit: a few photos from the day.  The morning...


The aforementioned cute kitty...


The day's last rays...


I enjoy that view to the west; since sunset is happening earlier these days, I often forget about it until the sun has slipped behind the horizon.


No comments: